Sunday, November 1, 2015

Morning Paintings #221-230

Sometimes one morning painting can lead to another. I will for instance do a pattern and wonder what would happen if I did this or that variation of that pattern. Or I will do a certain portrait and wonder what would happen if I set the portrait up in a different way. This doesn't always happen straight away, but when you have painted over 250 paintings it gets quite common to be sort of inspired by your own work.

A time that happened very explicitly is in the next series of morning paintings. All of them are flowers obviously, but in all of them I added gold ochre as a central colour and I also added words with a label maker. I especially liked the combination of black, gold ochre and silver grey, so I worked with that a lot. This is the first series of paintings where I would really like to turn them into postcards or something. I just think they are so pretty.

#221 - Flourish

#222 - Lucky Seven

#223 - Blossom

#224 - Bloom

#225 - Joyful

#226 - Hopeful

#227 - Generous

#228 - Greetings

#229 - Renewal

#230 - Closure

Now between no. 228 and 229 are twelve days. That was my vacation to the Achterhoek when I did not do my morning paintings. It may also clarify the words I chose for these paintings. :-)

With painting #230 I finished another sketchbook! That's five sketchbooks I've filled up so far. Pretty amazing even to me. 


Hope you are honouring some artsy practice somehow wherever you are and that you are enjoying it as much as I am enjoying mine.

Have a wonderful day!

14 comments:

  1. Ik 'speel' de laatste tijd ook veel met goudverf... hoewel ik helemaal geen 'blingbling' mens ben, vind ik het effect van goud en/of zilver wel heel mooi op een pagina! Leuke serie Caatje!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het is oker, geen goud in de zin van bling bling, maar een goudoker, in dezelfde zin dat je ook goudgeel hebt, als je begrijpt wat ik bedoel. Ik heb trouwens inmiddels wel metallic gouache aangeschaft, maar nog niet geprobeerd, zal ik waarschijnlijk ook niet doen in mijn ochtendschilderingen, maar wellicht wel in een ander schetsboek. Afwachten maar. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Boy, oh boy..... the one with the red background really makes those flowers POP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emie, my personal favorite is with the green, which is a bit more intense in the original.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Carin. These paintings are beautiful, and I agree that you should use them for postcards or maybe blank note cards. Either idea or both would be nice. Have a great day......Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, have a wonderful day too.

      Delete
  4. Héél goed gelukt en idd goed idee die postkaarten en al vijf VOLLE schetsboeken wat een voldaan gevoel zal dat wel niet geven en een stimulatie naar de volgende . Fijne zondag !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben inmiddels als aardig op wel naar nummer zeven en ja het geeft voldoening, maar is ook een beetje onwerkelijk. Dat heb ik met de aantallen ook. Ik kom dit jaar waarschijnlijk wel aan de 300, maar dat is zo'n abstract getal dat ik het me bijna niet voor kan stellen dat ik echt zoveel schilderingen heb gemaakt dit jaar. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh my word, these are so gorgeous, just perfect! Your daily pages are so professional! It shows how regular daily painting or drawing certainly pays off! You are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if these have made me a better painter, but because I use the same smallish brush every morning, I definitely have gotte a real good feeling about how to handle that particular brush and have gotten a pretty good control over its lines. I like that.

      Delete
  6. loving these! really happy to hear you start to think about making postcards - finally! Not because these are nicer or better than any of your other work. I think if you had packs of post cards out there and just selected things randomly from your work you'd be constantly surprised at what people LOVED and what others ignored. There is really NO accounting for taste, your own included. Just put yourself out there for a lark and see what happens... only when you're ready, of course! PS I especially love how, on this page, the bottom of 223 and the top of 224 just "click" into one another! Lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith. I know about the taste thing. I will often prefer very different things from the people who look at my art. It's also the reason I put just about everything online, you never know who might enjoy something that you only think is mediocre at best. It's good for your artsy confidence, haha.
      Am orienting myself on the whole Etsy thing right now, will have to see what I can afford to invest as far as stocking up goes. It will take a lot of work before I'm ready to put stuff up for sale, but I am working on it.

      Delete
  7. Carin, I love how your backgrounds and borders complement the flower designs! And I agree that the ochre, black and grey go wonderfully together. I admire your work and appreciate so much your taking the time to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Mary! :-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...