Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pattern Crazy

If you've been to my blog longer than today you know how much I love to colour in things, especially my own simple line drawings.


Lately however I have been obsessed with something that won't let go. It's basically pattern doodling. I draw these designs in a black marker and then colour them in. That's it. It's so relaxing and wonderful and I'm really enjoying it.


I think it started when some blogger put up something about a fabric pattern designer. Before I knew it I was googling for inspiration and I had ordered several books on pattern design, just to know how this stuff works. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut in these things.


I draw these mostly in a Moleskine Sketchbook and have found that the wretched paper of this sketchbook (it resists wet media!) is actually perfect for my Pitt Big Brush markers. They go on so smooth it's amazing, like the paper was made for them.


I have however also started a bigger pattern book in a Strathmore Mixed Media Journal. My idea is to fill that book with more patterned pages and then I can use them to photocopy and so make collage papers for myself (aren't I smart?).


So far I've only done one in that book though, so I'll keep that for another time when I have filled up more pages. I'll make sure to share them with you when the time comes and make good scans so you can print them and use them as collage papers (or whatever you want) as well.


For now I'm just showing you the Moleskine ones and I hope you enjoy them just for what they are: shapes and colour and repetition and sometimes symmetry. They are simply easy on the eye and that's the only reason I do them.

This one is the only one done with tombow markers and you can see how the paper resists the colour (grrr).

I think a lot of this 'mindless' pattern doodling is just my personal form of meditation. It's a good way to unwind the mind. Feel free to give it a go and see where it takes you!


Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!

28 comments:

  1. Hi Caatje, this is really great! Beautiful patterns and i like the colours you choose. Almost hypnotising to look at, i understand it is meditating. But you have patience also! Ever thout of making a colouringbook for adults?? I would definately buy it!
    Have a nice week on your island!
    Groet, Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda, I am actually working on a little colouring book zine. It will not be for sale, but a freebie on the blog. It's a bit of a side project though, so it takes forever to finish, but it is coming!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I so love color and you've made such beautiful bright and vibrant designs! My name is Naomi and I found your blog through April Cole's art group on Facebook. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Naomi! So happy to have your here!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful!! I enjoyed scrolling through tremendously!
    I think it is very smart indeed to make photo copies of them and use them as art papers in your other works.
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I will probably share those as freebies as well when the time comes. First I'll have to draw a few more though.

      Delete
  4. I'm inspired by your pattern designing! Fun and colorful...:)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not just smart, you're "art smart"! Sorry, couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular Caatije!! :)
    Thank You for sharing your thoughts and the process in which you used, to create such beautiful pages ~xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April! So happy you like them.

      Delete
  7. Hi Caatje. I always love your pattern pages especially for the bright and beautiful colors you use to color them. A while back you had showed some pattern pages, and I liked them so much that I tried doing some myself. It took quite a long time to fill out 2 moleskine pages in medium size. I haven't colored them in, but I think I will try that. I love the idea of photo copying them to use in collage pieces - brilliant! You really inspire me, and I look forward to being able to print out some of your papers for future use. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful artwork with us. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing patterns indeed takes some patience, but Im so happy I inspired you to give it a go. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I don't think you're into fabric/stitching--I don't remember (snort) ever having read anything about it--but I think these patterns would be FABULOUS in appliqué and embroidery on a favorite garment, maybe a studio smock or apron? And if you think coloring is soothing and meditative, you need to try simple hand stitching. Nothing is as soothing to me, and I heartily rec. it. I think it would be so satisfying to have these in the notebooks, and then scanned and printed for collage, and then also in fabric. You could surround yourself with your fabulous designs! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually very much into fabric as long as I can mostly stitch by machine. I love making journals with fabric covers. But...recently I actually did some hand beading on a cover! You would have been so proud of me, haha. Anyway, it has gotten me interested in embroidery and bead embroidery. I really want to learn how to make more interesting journal covers. I think it will also be good practice for my impatient side!

      Delete
  9. I love this idea!! And I love to color too, have ever since I was a little girl!! And my happiest moments was when I got a new box of Crayola Crayons!!!! I can still remember my favorite ones...Magenta and Persian Blue!!! lol
    I am glad you let us know about in our Crative Art Journaling email!!! I think I would like to try this too, thanx for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can so relate! There's nothing like a new box of colours! Please let me know when you have some patterns of your own, would love to see.

      Delete
  10. This is a great idea a few are really my favorites enjoy your relaxing moments

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful. I do make fabric with procion MX dyes and use it for my journal covers. I'd be happy to share experience offline if you email me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shirley. I'm keeping away from fabric dye for now, mostly because I have way to many art supplies already and the things I use fabrics for need no washing, but I will definitely keep your kind offer in mind.

      Delete
  12. These are beautiful and inspiring. I don't comment often I'm sorry, but I love your blog and always read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina and no worries about the commenting. I do the same thing on many a blog myself. So many cool blogs, so little time!

      Delete
  13. Dear friend, you have excelled with this bunch. They are so inspiring to me, so many ideas jumping out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a gorgeous book this is! I love all of your colorful patterns.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...