Monday, July 13, 2015

Tiny mandalas

As you may or may not know on my birthday I always receive a ton of gift certificates and last birthday (in April) was no different. I usually spend those certificates on the things I love the most: books and artsy stuff. And sometimes on books about artsy stuff.

One of the things I bought with this years certificates was a tiny canson sketchbook. It measures 5.5 x 3.5 inches (about 9 x 14 cm) and the thing I liked about it is that it's hardbound but it opens flat. I usually don't like small bound sketchbooks because they are uncomfortable to work in, so this was perfect for me.

Now what to do with a tiny sketchbook like that?
Well, it just so happens that I started painting mandalas in my morning painting practice. You haven't seen them yet, but they will show up here eventually in future blogposts. Anyway, all of a sudden I'm infatuated with mandalas and I decided to dedicate this little sketchbook to little hand drawn mandalas.

Here are the first ten I did:







They were all drawn with either a black fine-liner or drawing pen and coloured in with Stabilo 68 felt tip pens. They were also the perfect art to do during a heatwave. It was so warm last week that I couldn't be in my studio so I had to make art on my lounge chair outside (I know, life is so tough, haha).

I have no idea where this new infatuation will take me, but I look forward to having a tiny book filled with tiny mandalas one day. I think it will give me just as much pleasure as my moleskine full of patterns is giving me.

Hope you are infatuated with something lovely too and wishing you a wonderful and artsy day!

10 comments:

  1. I have this same Canson journal and I have yet to decide what to do with it. Your mandalas are a great idea. They really are bright. It has been terribly hot here and I hate leaving the house. It is going to be in the high 90's Fahrenheit for the next two weeks.
    Enjoy you new journal.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb. Good luck with the heat. Luckily it's cooled down here.

      Delete
  2. Love your mandalas ... especially the 2nd one down, it reminds me of autumn!

    I have a small book such as yours but it has a soft cover and I love using it.

    As for being infatuated with something - right now, my infatuation is with doing my daily ICAD's. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I love what people are doing with those! There's something to be said for small art isn't there?

      Delete
  3. What a great idea for a small journal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mandalas, Carin. They are so beautifully colorful. It is quite an interesting change from your pattern paintings. Either way, I enjoy everything you share with us.......Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Carin! Your mandalas are beautiful! Funny, I've been playing around with them in my doodles during slow times at work. Maybe I should get a book for them! You are such an inspiration! Hope this finds you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Brenda. Wonderful that you are playing with them too. I love how such a 'simple' idea/concept can lead to so many variations. And I am doing very well, thank you.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...