Monday, January 14, 2013

The Midwinter Journal 2012/2013 aka The Quinn Book - part two

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are looking forward to the second installment of the Quinn Book that I filled in my vacation. (You can read why it's called that in my previous post.)

While I was working in this book I discovered that I really enjoyed using stencils and materials in a different way than the obvious one. I love using premade art supplies (there is so much gorgeous stuff out there), but I don't like a premade look, so it became my challenge to get a bit of an abstract layout with ready made supplies. It was a lot of fun to play that way and definitely something I want to explore further. You know...with the thousand other things I want to explore further some time someday somehow. ;-)

So here's some more spreads!

This is my absolute favorite spread in the entire book!

I never thought of using rub ons and a circle template this way before.

I don't know if you can tell, but the clothes on these paper dolls are cut out from paper. These were done from stencils too.

Gouache (Talens) and brush pen (Pitt), hello my darling circles and ribbons!

The rose stickers were actually intended to stick on your bike!

I don't know if you can read it, but it says "The child is always hungry". Ain't that the truth! ;-)
 
I had a lot of trouble getting this one right, but it worked out in the end.
 
The card on the left was made by my friend Chanou. A little origami christmas tree!

And that concludes the artsy part of the journal. As I said last time I also added a bunch of photographs, but those were hard to take a snapshot of, since the glare was too prominent. I filled the book about two thirds with images and art. The rest of the book has been reserved for my writing. How I did that I will show you coming Wednesday!

Until then I wish all of you a wonderful and artsy week!

28 comments:

  1. Heerlijk, al die pagina's op een rijtje! Het plezier spat er vanaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heb er ook veel plezier in gehad, Marit. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pages Caatje... looks like your vacation was very creative... love the fashion girls... and the happy and vibrant New Year's page...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. It was indeed quite creative. Often on my vacations I don't even do all that much, but this one was an exception to that rule!

      Delete
  3. These spreads are gorgeous! Your favorite is my favorite too. And I love the hungry child! Really beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks for calling it the Quinn book! Don't you love the Graphitint pencils? I use them more in winter because of their subdued colors, but they are truly lovely. What delights me is the variety of work and how the gutter (the part dividing the pages) doesn't slow you down a bit! Your use of color is wonderful. OK, I"m a fan, I'll admit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colours of the graphitint too, although by nature I'm a more bright coloured art maker. But they are wonderful. The gutter did give me a headache sometimes when drawing, but I won in the end, haha. ;-) Thanks again for the opportunity to try out this journal.

      Delete
  5. Great pages, Caatje! I especially like the first and third pages...the paper dolls are adorable! Beautiful colors, and I love the sentiment, "Feed Your Inner Child...The Child is Always Hungry."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely - and your fav is my fav :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know Lynette, thank you! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Journal. I love all your ideas. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great pages Caatje! Love how calm they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pages Caatje! Keep up the great motivational art...and posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, I will try to stay productive!

      Delete
  10. Lovely pages! I am rediscovering stencils too! looking forward to your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im just catching up on what Ive missed - These are great pages, making me instantly want to pick up an art journal myself. My favourite has to be the inner child one - so important to remind ourselves shes there! Also love your favourite too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do pick up your journal Emily and have a good time playing in it!

      Delete
  12. I just love all these pages--and they give me inspiration for some of my own. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pages, you are so productive! I'm not big into art journalling myself, but I love looking at other peoples work and I take little snippets of inspiration here and there. I love your ribbons and all the patterns in the previous post, I can feel some doodling coming on..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do doodle, it's so much fun! Thank you for your kind words, Nina!

      Delete
  14. Absolutely stunning pages, Caatje. Your pages are just getting better and BETTER as time goes by. More cohesive I think (not exactly sure what I mean by that - maybe more "polished"?) - but they retain their uniqueness to YOU and your own personal creative style. Love them! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I'm still not sure what my own personal style is, but I'm glad you're seeing one. :-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...