Monday, January 21, 2013

The last of the Moon Journal

I really want to start talking about my plans for the coming year, but I feel I haven't wrapped up the last one yet unless I show you all the stuff I did at the end of that year and that's what I intend to do in this weeks posts. So bear with me, okay?

One of the things you still need to see are the last spreads from the Moon Journal. I promised these to you weeks ago, but the holidays and the Quinn Book got in the way. (in a good way mind you)

You remember the Moon Journal right? It was an altered atlas that I worked in for the bigger part of last year, nine months in total to be exact. It was my daily journal, or should I say semi-daily journal? I had a really hard time with it sometimes. Keeping up a journal practice is wonderful, but when a book is this big and requires this much work I also can find it tedious from time to time.

Still, on December 12th I finally finished up the last spread and could close this book that I loved to work in, but that was a huge challenge to finish. I'm really glad I did though.

Here are the last eight spreads for your enjoyment (and my closure!).









The fun thing about working in an altered book is that you first kind of break it down and then bring it back to life. When I was finished prepping this atlas I had taken out about half of its pages and it looked really sad and thin. But after filling it, it is now much thicker than it ever was in its original state!

Here are some pictures of the finished journal standing up to give you an impression of how luscious and colourful it became in the end. 



I'm pretty proud of it actually! But I must confess I am also relieved it is full. Nine months is a long time for me to work in one book as a daily journal. I'm not sorry I did it though. It was definitely worth it.

I hope you enjoyed these last images of this book and I also hope you enjoyed following me through the past year as I filled it up spread by spread. Thanks for all your wonderful comments on it as I worked on it, it really kept me going. Now I will put the journal to rest besides all those that went before it and from time to time I will pick it up and enjoy its pages.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy week!

36 comments:

  1. toch wel een fijn naslagwerk op deze manier ...en je ontdekt gaanderweg ook de groei die je maakt ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, ik zie elk boek ook als een soort hoofdstuk(je) uit mijn leven.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous and glorious book! Thank you so much for sharing it and letting us be a part of your journey. Congratulations on completing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! I'm very happy with it now.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful - I have loved all the spreads that you've shared on this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynette, much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. As always, your work is just lovely. Thanks for continuing to inspire all us admirers halfway around the world! Looking forward to 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caatje... your altered journal and your pages are so beautiful... I love all the handwriting... and seeing the book with all the pages filled with color and art is heart warming... what a wonderful project...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, it took some determination, but I'm glad I pulled through. :-)

      Delete
  6. I wish there were a thousand more spreads for me to browse through. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Inspiring. Beautiful. Aaaaah. I want to hold this journal, flip through and touch each paper page... What a treasure! Congrats to you for your creative dedication!! And thank YOU for sharing out here. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I feel the same way when I see other peoples journals online. If only I could touch them and leaf through!

      Delete
  7. That is so cool looking. How did you cut out the pages so carefully? Whenever I've done that, I've ended up leaving a margin of paper which makes the book a little too saggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cut the pages, I tear them! You do need a book with a good sewn binding, then you can just take out both sides of a sheet of paper as it's folded into the signatures. Hope this makes sense. I take out about half of the pages that way, by removing a couple from each signature.

      Delete
  8. Wow what an achievement...and a very ambitious project. I bought a cute little cooking book to do as my first altered book...I need to start small...but I am excited to start. Thanks for the great inspiration...your pages are so beautiful and I am certain full of inspiring words/notes/and memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do start Danielle, it's a very rewarding process. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Gah! Your journal makes me spaz out from the beauty of it!
    Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, nine months, that's dedication! I love this journal - the pages look so colourful and tactile. Im also very interested to know what the 'plans for this year' that you hinted at, at the beginning of you post. I will stay tuned!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Look forward to your return. Hope my plans/ideas will play out nicely. We'll see...

      Delete
  11. Your Moon journal is wonderful Caatje. I'm amazed at how much hand writing you do and often think about the interview I read recently. Anyhoo, I am the same, I like to have my duckies in a row and am always wanting to post the old (new) stuff before going on to the new (new) stuff. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is easy, the rest I find more challenging. And yes, I did want to close off the past year properly before moving on to the next.

      Delete
  12. Caatje thank you so much for your ongoing inspiration and wonderful journaling that you share. Your Moon journal is quite an accomplishment - congratulations on finishing it and having it end up so beautiful!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  13. Farewell moon journal. I shall miss you on this fine blog.

    In all seriousness it's gorgeous Caatje! I love the finished view standing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like that view too, it really makes you realise what you've been working for all that time. :-)

      Delete
  14. I love the Moon journal. Makes me think I should get to work in my atlas, now that I've gessoed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really should. Go go go! Haha! Good luck Trece!

      Delete
  15. Absolutley stunning!!
    Such "YUMMY" pages, dripping with "ARTSY" goodness... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, AGAIN, I just want to rush off and do one, but I have too many other projects right now, I will do one one day. Thanks for sharing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know that feeling Nina! So many ideas, so little time...

      Delete
  17. Caatje,
    What a beautiful book! You should be very proud of your hard work. Like always, your work makes me want to go work in my art journal. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer, I am rather proud of it, but also kind of relieved it is done.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...