Friday, January 11, 2013

The Midwinter Journal 2012/2013 aka The Quinn Book - part one

Not long before the holidays the wonderful Quinn McDonald and I decided on a journal trade. I really wanted to try the bound Strathmore Mixed Media Journals (which are hard to come by here) and she offered to send me one free of charge. Of course I had to reimburse somehow for such generosity and so I offered her one of my favorite Seawhite of Brighton sketchbooks in return. And wouldn't you know it, her journal arrived just after Christmas, like a little belated Christmas gift.

The thing is that my days off before Christmas had been rather lazy and unproductive and that's exactly how I wanted them, but I knew that I didn't want to spend my entire vacation that way. So I decided to  take a sort of personal art and writing retreat. I'll talk about the writing in a later post, but it's safe to say that the Strathmore journal seemed just perfect to record my artsy endeavours for the nine days I had off after Christmas. So I practically immediately started working in it and am happy to say it was put to good use.

In this post and the next one I will show you some of the spreads from that book which I really wanted to call The Midwinter Journal, but which in my mind somehow has simply become The Quinn Book. ;-)

I'm not showing you all the spreads, because some of them just have large prints of my photographs on them and since those were printed on shiny paper I couldn't photograph them well (too much reflection) and anyway, you've seen most of them in my Monday post already. 

Here we go!

The card on the left was made by Quinn. A little background info on how I received the journal.

Some doodles done with Derwent graphitint pencils.

The wrappings of the half pans of watercolor in my new watercolor box.

ARTIST will be my word of the year 2013! The tree I sketched en plein air while on one of my walks.

A mandala flower in drawing pen (Pitt), coloured in with felt tip pens (Stabilo 68).

Watercolour doodles (My watercolors are Winsor and Newton by the way).

Watercolour wall with some 'framed'  photographs I took on my walks.

And again. It was fun coming up with different frames.

I actually developed a new to me style of journaling! I used stencils and supplies in a whole new way and loved it.

The Strathmore journal is absolutely wonderful, although as you can see it does not stay open very well without the help of my fingers. That's okay when working in it (it does flatten okay when you're using it), but it was a pain when wanting to take photographs (hence the tips of my lovely fingers in just about every picture).

The beautiful heavy paper takes every medium quite well, but I must say, that even though the surface was vellum (which I thought should be very smooth, but I might be wrong), a thin drawing pen and even my pentel pocket brush did have the tendency to skip a little as if the surface was too rough for them. It wasn't a problem, but I wouldn't use this paper if I just wanted to sketch with a drawing pen. For mixed media it's ideal though.

I hope you liked this first installment of spreads from the Quinn Book. The other spreads I will show you on Monday. For now I wish you a wonderful and artsy weekend!

30 comments:

  1. So much goodness here, Caatje! I love your doodles, your frames around your photographs (genius!), and your word for the year! Thanks for sharing your Quinn Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU for your kind words. My word of the year is a challenging one. I will probably write about in one of my future posts.

      Delete
  2. I like this, especially the last page - with the butterflies! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Redonna, you're gonna love my Monday post if that's your favorite.

      Delete
  3. You really put a lot of yourself into this book, Caatje. It's definitely got your handprint on it. I love the way you put colors together and those fabulous doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pages and ideas. Each one is so different and wonderful. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a book for all kinds of things, also to see what the paper could do. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. Now I see what a Quinn book is... I have a watercolor Strathmore journal (haven't used it yet)... it is landscape format, I really prefer portrait format like your Quinn book. I use a larger binder clip to hold my journal pages open to dry and the photograph... just a suggestion if your manicure isn't up to par one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! me+manicure=bwahahaha! ;-)I need to get some of those binder clips.
      And as for landscape format: turn it 90 degrees and look what you have? Portrait! But I get it, if you want to work double spread it's a challenging format. I do like it though from time to time.

      Delete
  6. You sure have been busy! I bet Quinn is smiling ear to ear :D
    I love the way you drew pretty frames around your photographs....such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cameron. I think I got the idea from some wallpaper I once saw, it was just white with empty frames on it. I figured a more coloured wall and full frames is more my style, haha.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pages! And this is the first I am hearing about Strathmore's Hardbound art journals.! very exciting indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karma. The hardbound journals are reasonably new. They are wonderful though.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! I like the layout of the watercolor wrappers best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody. That one was a lot of fun to make.

      Delete
  9. Glad to find you on Everyday Matters . You are extremely talented. Miz Dee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun. I really love your doodled frames. Look forward to seeing more pages - great variety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So inspiring (as usual) I love your use of the wrappings from your water colors. Your word for 2013 is fitting ... you are an artist!

    I have a Strathmore Visual Spiral Bound journal. I really like the paper in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I love the paper in this journal too. I'm hoping to fit my word of the year even better by the end of the year. :-)

      Delete
    2. WOW!! These are "FANTASTIC" art journal pages. :]
      Thank you for sharing your talents & spreading inspiration to others, always.

      Delete
    3. Thank you April, much appreciated!

      Delete
  12. I would've bet I'd already commented about how much I love your pages! Cool name for your book. It just fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, with the names for my books I always go for the obvious! ;-) Thanks for your kind words, Annie.

      Delete
  13. It looks like you had a fun, productive holiday! Thanks so much for sharing your journal with us. I always love seeing what you're working on...so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have fun! And thank you for all the compliments. My ego is stroked, haha.

      Delete
  14. Wow! That looks great!
    I love the mandala and the picture frames. I might try it myself someday, you're a great inspiration! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jacolien, I really appreciate it.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...