Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What are you up to Wednesday - part 36 (woyww 139)

Today I'm cheating a little. This is a what's on your workdesk Tuesday, Wednesday and a while back post, but it's just 'cause I want to show you some things I've been up to and they just weren't all on my desk at the same time.

Let's start with my desk the way it looked at some point last night:


It's the atlas that I'm transforming into an art journal. I had left it lying way too long and am now picking it up again. I'm still in the stage of gessoing the pages. I'm about halfway done with that, so no wonder it's nowhere near ready to serve as my journal yet. When the gessoing is done I think I will add color to the spreads by applying acrylic paints with a credit card. I like the smooth surfaces this gives. But...it's still early in the game and I may change my mind several times before anything is decided. We'll see...

Now here's what's on my desk right now:


I already announced I want to make a third remains of the day journal, but this time in a square format. I'm going to name it ROD Square, haha! It will probably be about 20x20 cm (8x8 inches). Yesterday I picked out some papers from my enormous stash and now I'm cutting it to size so I can start sewing the base of the pages. I love handling all that gorgeous paper. It's all double sided paper which is perfect to make books from.

Now when I pick papers I don't go through some lengthy process of trying to fit papers together or anything like that. I just drag out a couple of paper packs, randomly take out some papers from each pack and then mix them all without really thinking about if they go together. I have found that with these kinds of journals pretty much anything goes together. That's what makes them fun!

Finally a little update on something I mentioned in a previous post about doing a Stolen Ideas Project. The idea is to put a load of book titles on pieces of paper, put those in a box and then like a lottery draw a piece and work on something inspired by that book. That way I will get to try some new techniques or finally work with some prompts that I've wanted to work with for a long time. The idea really is to make use of all the wonderful books I own. Well, here's the box (as it was on my desk last week)!


About fifty book titles are in there and more will follow as I still have some books lying downstairs that I haven't read yet, but that may be very well suited for this box of possibilities. I don't have any illusions that I will ever be able to do everything from every book. The plan is simply to work with them and surprise myself in the process. I'll keep you posted for I will soon do my first draw and get this project going! For now I intend this to be an ongoing project for 2012, but who knows, if I enjoy this way of working it may last longer.

That's all for me today. Hope your Wednesday is artsy and happy!

19 comments:

  1. So much goodness here! I love seeing that pile of papers, knowing that they will one day soon be turned into another rod journal. Interesting thought too about everything going together in that kind of journal. I think I would have been too anal about it and made sure everything matched. I'm now getting that idea out of my head and saving myself some time in the process.

    I love your little stolen idea box too. That looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO have a great paper stash! I am inspired every time I see your journals and desk. The prompt box is a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondeerful projects on your desk! Love those beautiful papers and the possibilities of those book titles! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome idea to stimulate creativity! I am offering up some blog candy so come leave a comment on my blog and get a chance to win! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Vickie #90

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well get you - full of ideas and getting on...love how you pick your papers..oh to be angst free over such things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of your prompt book, i have thought of doing something similar and yours has given me the inspitation to give it a go Thank you, lots of gorgeous papers Hope you have a great week Lou @#26

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots going on ,love the paper stash, super idea about the prompt box, Have a great week, Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wat een leuk idee: zowel je nieuwe boekidee als de box met de titels van je boeken. Ben benieuwd hoe je dat gaat aanpakken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love the idea of altering an atlas... I have one laying around but I use it for the maps so I don't want to work on those pages... I might buy me another (old) one - see if I can find one on Queensday market maybe... have fun with putting together the ROD square! (I, myself, find it really difficult to work on a square shape lately)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great workspace with lots going on. your jounalling sounds great. I am into that at the moment.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOu have such interesting things on your desk. I love the idea of putting gesso on an old book for an art journal. Something I really need to explore. Sounds like you live on a wonderful island.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Late as usual with my visits for WOYWW but it’s been great having a peek into your crafty world this week.
    Sounds like a fun project Caatje, I love the way you choose your papers. I can send a good half hour trying to find ‘just the right papers’ when I start a project.
    Have a great week and ………………………………………….

    Happy Crafting!
    Sue
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that process you have with your atlases...getting the pages gessoed, then painted, then journaled with all of your creative wonderfulness. Those papers for your ROD look delicious. And I'm still loving your idea for making use of all those art and crafting books in your collection. I look forward to watching those projects unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my WOYWW blog post. You have some lovely photos posted today. Glad you finally got some snow!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some lovely stuff on your desk there, and I am intrigued by that fabric under your box. The Russian dolls. That is gorgeous fabric but what is it? Chair, box?
    Thanks for your visit. No chocolate cake left but when you visit I will make you one!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like an interesting project!
    I'm working my way through this weeks WOYWW - I’m finally on the home straight!

    Sheena
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting post and an unusual concept to use those book titles as inspiration. I really enjoyed seeing all the snowy photos of where you live in the next post too.
    JoZarty x

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful desktop! love your idea box!
    michele #176

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...