Sunday, September 6, 2015

Doodle Process

Recently I discovered Creative Bug. It's a website that offers a ton of artsy online classes for a fraction of the usual cost of online classes. For a little less than five dollars a month I have access to all the classes they offer plus I get to keep one class a month in a personal library for ever and ever. I mean really, where can you find even one class these days for that price?

Anyway, one of the classes I really enjoyed was Lisa Congdon's class on line drawing. I love line drawing because it's not so much about rendering things realistically as it is about letting out your own imagination.

One exercise she showed was about concentric circles and I wanted to try that one in my journal. But what happened was what always happens when I try to follow instructions: I start out doing what the teacher says and then I go in a totally different direction. So the only thing that looked anything like the exercise was the fact that, yes, there were circles involved. But instead of making concentric circles I simply started filling the circles with doodles and then coloured them in with red and black. It lead to quite a nice page if I do so say so  myself and I actually took some pictures of the process that I thought I might share with you:

I started by drawing circles like a good little artsy girl.

Then I already started doing things a little differently by colouring in the negative space with black.

Then I wondered 'what if?' and things got out of hand.

And before I knew it I was left with a page looking like this.

I love the colour combination of black, white and red. Somehow those colours to me always seem made for each other.

This is what I love about online classes: you can use them just to infuse your own work with a little inspiration. It's not about copying the teacher, it's about getting a glimpse of new possibilities for your own work.


Hope you are inspired by whatever it is you are doing and wishing you a wonderful and artsy day!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! I love what you did with the class to make it your own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goede tip, dat is inderdaad niet zo duur. De meeste online workshops vind ik vrij prijzig en het is soms lastig in te schatten of je er echt iets aan gaat hebben. Heb alleen nog geen creditcard, wilde er ook geen. Er zijn nu echter ook relatief goedkope versies zag ik, misschien toch maar eens een aanschaffen.
    Een beetje inspiratie kan soms weer van alles in beweging zetten bij jezelf. Leuk gedaan!

    Groetjes,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je kunt het gratis proberen voor twee weken. Moet je daarna wel meteen afzeggen, maar dan kun je in ieder geval zonder verdere kosten kijken of het wel wat voor je is. Niet alles wat er te zien is, is de moeite waard, maar er is zoveel dat er ongetwijfeld wat voor je bij zit. En je kunt ieder moment opzeggen, dus het risico leek me vrij klein. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Lisa Congdon's line drawing class is one of my favorite Creative Bug classes. I really love how you put your own spin on what you got out of the class. I like the use of red, black and white...I almost never use red in my linework, and it really pops in your drawing. I also like the black negative space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I really liked taking a class where for once it was not about rendering a perfectly realistic picture, but to use the drawing for imagination and doodling. Making up stuff is my kind of drawing, haha.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...