Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A whimsy painting

My daily painting practice has taken a whimsy turn from time to time and that has inspired me to try a whimsy painting outside of the sketchbook. It was also my first try with some artist quality gouache paints in tubes.

When I do my morning paintings I usually use student grade gouache in cakes (Caran d'Ache brand) and I really enjoy them too, but it was fun to experiment with the 'real thing' (Royal Talens brand). One of the first things I noticed is how full of pigments the tubed paints are. A little goes a very very long way and it took me some time to find the right amount for mixing certain colours because of that.

Anyway, here's the painting plus some close ups:








The painting is done on thick paper meant for acrylic paint and measures about A3 in size (a little bigger). After I did the basic painting in gouache I put in tons of details with acrylic paint markers (UniPosca's are still my favorite brand for these). I really like that technique: using the gouache for the big shapes of colour and then putting in details with markers.  I've been using that approach a lot in my morning paintings lately as well.

I like how it turned out, especially for a first try. I think I would like to explore further and see if I can't put some more life into these paintings by putting more birds and animals in, but I'm not sure yet about how I'll go about that. We'll see. One painting at a time.

Hope you are doing something colourful in your neck of the woods too and wishing you a wonderful and artsy day!

12 comments:

  1. I love the effect you get with the acrylic markers over the gouache, but I have to say, the pink of that house is I-N-C-R-E-D-B-L-E! Wow. Keep playing! Eventually I will join you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith. Please start playing right now, don't wait! As for the pink: having some good primary colours did wonders for mixing it. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wat een vrolijk geheel, ik geniet elke keer weer van je morning paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun & cheerful work! It has a lovely folk art feeling. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy, that's exactly the feeling I was going for. I am very much looking into folk art and folklore right now.

      Delete
  4. Wow, those colors are so intense - they're gorgeous. Love your whimsical paintings too...Have a great day....Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours blow me away too Linda. I actually have to learn to be very modest with the paints because they have so much pigment in them it's easy to overdo it. A little goes a long way with these tubes. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Beautifully colorful painting, Caatje! My daughter is enjoying it with me, and wants me to tell you that she really likes the houses, especially the way the little lines look like stitches. (She also likes your cat, Peer, whose picture she sees in the right-hand column of your blog!) I think your daily practice is great in the way it is taking you outside of your sketchbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andria and also thank your daughter for me. My asistant sends his love too. He loves being admired. ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...