Wednesday, May 1, 2013

So..um...I tried to draw a horse...

As you may remember my online friend Anoeschka asked me to draw her and her horse Ullah. You can see my first attempts at drawing Anoeschka here, but that's not really what intimidated me. It was the horse that was the real challenge. I actually remember that the last time I drew a horse I was somewhere in my teens and it was after a calendar picture and it did turn out quite nice, but I'm not exactly a horse expert let alone an expert at drawing them.

Anyway I figured the only way to learn is to try and just do it, so here are my first attempts in at least 25 years of drawing a horse. It. Was. Hard.

A real quick impression in brush pen.

One in tombow markers and then diluted with some water.

In graphite pencil (a soft lead).

Now I have no delusions about the quality of these drawings and they were done fast just to get a feeling for the shape of a horses head. I do like the essence of them though, I think I captured something of the original Ullah. Still...I obviously need to learn a lot about drawing horses. I probably shouldn't quit my day job and become a professional horse drawer. ;-)

Now all these try outs of Anoeschka and Ullah are supposed to prepare me for the real thing, which will be drawing the two of them together. That drawing will be worked over more extensively, or maybe I'll do a watercolour or something. We'll see. Anyway, that one is the one that will go to Anoeschka and that's the one that is the real challenge. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

For now I wish all of you a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. I love your sketches and I especially like the one done with the markers. I'll be stopping by to see that final drawing of the two together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana, I'm hoping to get to work on it soon.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Caatje!!
    I love you the fact that you stretched yourself, broke free, and sketched the horse.
    This always builds confidence, YOU ROCK! ~xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April. There's no way to improve skills without practice. :-)

      Delete
  3. You really were able to capture the essence of Ullah. I particularly like the one done in Tombow markers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks she captured at least something of the original horse, haha. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I think your sketches look great, Caatje, and I applaud you for trying a subject you have not approached in so many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's the challenge that tempts me in cases like this, not so much my skill, haha.

      Delete
  5. Ik vind ze geweldig goed gelukt!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...