Wednesday, May 29, 2013

More pattern doodles

I'm still really enjoying playing with pattern doodles in my Moleskine sketchbook. I'm not sure if pattern doodles is a term anybody else uses, but that is exactly what they are, so I'm using it for these drawings.


I first draw the patterns with an ordinary Pitt brush pen. It's fun coming up with different shapes, repetitions and schemes. I feel I have only scratched the surface of what's possible when it comes to patterning and I have a lot to learn about it so I don't keep falling back on the same shapes all the time. 


The most fun part however is colouring them in. For this I use Pitt Big Brush markers and they are absolutely wonderful on the Moleskine sketchbook paper. It's like they were made for each other. A match made in doodle heaven!


I like picking colour variations and seeing how they affect the patterns. I'm finding I like contrasting schemes a lot better than monochromatic schemes. For instance I like the doodles above a lot better than the ones before that with all the blues, simply because those seem more boring to me. 


It's also like doing a bit of a puzzle sometimes. Where does which colour go, how many colours do I use in one pattern and how do they fit together?  Especially with small patterns like the one on the right above it can be easy to make a mistake.

Still all in all it's a very relaxing thing to do and basically I just think they look pretty. ;-) They will also serve me well as ideas for bigger patterned pages that I can use for collage. I still have to do those, but I'll be sure to keep you informed when they come into being.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. I like the bright but, soft colors. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb, I hope you enjoy doing this as much as me.

      Delete
  2. Wat een leuke patroontjes! De huisjes en de rechterkant van de laatste pagina zouden hele mooie stofontwerpjes zijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nou, wie weet wat ik er ooit nog mee doe! Vooralsnog vind ik ze vooral leuk om te maken.

      Delete
  3. Mooie pagina's Carin, zoals annet als zei: zouden mooie stofontwerpjes zijn. Of voor kaften van schriften of behang of cadeaupapier of serviesgoed of telefoonhoesjes of ................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, de mogelijkheden zijn eindeloos!

      Delete
  4. I like these a lot. I would probably use them as a background for photos or glued in sketches but instead of making large doodles for collage, use the scanner to copy these and print them out even enlarging them if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and I have done that kind of thing in the past, but the pages are relatively small, I think I would like to make some bigger pages and then manipulate those with a copier or digital program. For now I just mostly like making them and don't think too much about their use.

      Delete
  5. "awesome!!" post Caatje :]

    ** love all these patterned pages, so inspiring. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the patterns! They look so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...