Monday, December 12, 2011

The first spreads from ROD2

There are so many people who have taken the Remains of the Day (ROD) class with the wonderful Mary Ann Moss that looking for images of them is a piece of cake and might actually put you into sensory overload. So many beautiful journals, so many different ways to interpret the class instructions. Not one journal is the same. I love looking at them and if you do too I strongly advice you to enter the words 'remains of the day journal' into google or flickr. You will be rewarded with hours and hours of eye candy.

But...what is somewhat harder to find is what people actually DO with these journals after they finish making them. How do they fill them up? How do they journal in them? What do they use them for? My first ROD journal was filled last spring and I showed some of the finished pages over here. At that time I hadn't taken up the habit yet of showing all my journal pages, the way I did with the altered atlas. But now I have started using ROD2 I wanted to show you the progress of that journal as I am using it. In order to give you a little impression of what I've done  to fill the pages I intend to show you the 'before' and the 'after' pages of the journal.

Now the before pages already have stuff on them, because that's how the journal is made. If you want to see all the spreads of the journal the way they were before I started journaling on them you can go to my flickr, where there's a special set dedicated to ROD2, right over here. I will add the used spreads, after I fill them up, to this set as well, so all of ROD2 will be together in one set.

About time I stopped talking and started showing you some pictures. Here are the first eight spreads of ROD2!

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

As you can see I add writing, stickers, images, tape, labels and everyday stuff that I want to keep like postcards and tags from things I bought. A lot of the extra's can be opened and there's often writing underneath or on the backside. The ROD journal always invites these sorts of interactive elements.

I hope you enjoyed looking at these first spreads, there will be more to come in the future as I fill up this journal.

Wishing you all a wonderfully creative week!

28 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing the before & afters - so inspiring to see that these journals can become more beautiful when you use them. Enjoy filling your next pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these! They look amazing and it's always fun seeing the transformation from "Empty" page to full page. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing your competed pages!!! I love to see how people actually use their journals. Thanks again. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Your pages look so lovely. I like that you added more bits and pieces along with your writing. So nice to see what a ROD looks like before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them without the writing but DOUBLE love them with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVED looking at these pages! The writing and other additions bring these pages to life. Thanks for sharing!

    All my best to you and yours this Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love before and after pictures! I signed up for the ROD class, but haven't started doing it yet. It's my goal for this winter, but now I'm being tempted with a lettering class and a stamp carving class. I need to be disciplined and DO the one I already paid for! Your journal is amazing, and such a wonderful inspiration for me to FINALLY get started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fabulous Caatje... I love the beginnings of your ROD journal... your pics are wonderful... and I love seeing how different they are once you have added to the pages...
    Thank you too for your sweet comments... so appreciate it...

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! love the before and after photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo! I LOVE being able to see the before and after pictures side-by-side. Okay, in this case they are not actually side-by-side but you know what I mean. These are great!!! Thank you for showing them like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fabulous, caatje. I love the before and afters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, what a great idea to take before and after pics! It was so much fun to see your ROD jounal evolve -- you have inspired me to (finally) start writing in mine. Thanks so much for sharing these -- and hope you will keep 'em coming! Eye candy is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cool. They give me inspiration for my own journal. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks. It is so much fun to see what other people do with their ROD pages. Yours look so inviting - I want to get a cup of coffee and settle in to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my... I am lov'in it!!!
    Such yummy pages, great work *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so good to see a ROD that has actually been worked in! Your pages are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wat een metamorfoses!! geweldig caatje! weer lekker genieten, groet van laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. De pagina's worden er mooier en mooier van! Wauw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE seeing the before and after pages! They were beautiful before, but you made them come alive with your journaling and other additions! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! Showing your pages like this really inspires me to USE the journals I've been making, instead of just looking at them! I'm also making journals for a few family members and I'll be able to show them how to write in them, with your examples, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for you kind comments. I really appreciate it.

    @Chris: of course you can show my images to your friends. An ROD journal is wonderful gift to give!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with everyone. It is rare to see the before and after shots and it's fun to see that, even for those of us who have not taken a ROD class. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks interesting, but I still don't get the point of making a book full of stuff to put other stuff over.
    I journal primarily on trips, and have always used foldouts, tuckins, etc., but I like to start with a nice blank book with a spiral binding so I can lay it flat or open in different places. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing journal pages
    thanks so much for sharing them... they are wonderful
    Lillian
    http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mooi album maar ook heel duidelijk met die foto's.
    ik blijf het knap vinden dat je zo goed kunt journalen.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...