Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Texel in five walks - First walk

So let's begin our walking tour of Texel.

My original intention was to walk all around the island in six walks, but unfortunately there was one snow day where walking would have been unpleasant and photography impossible, so I skipped a little here and there, but still managed to most of my route.

My first (somewhat) long walk I started at 't Horntje which is on the south side of the island and where the ferry moors. I walked along the west side of the island onto a street named Jan van Ayeslag which is about a third of the length of the island northward. It was a beautiful, mostly sunny and somewhat frosty day. The kind of winter weather that is ideal for walking.

Here's an impression of that first walk which lead from the ferry site, past wetlands, water, dunes, beaches and more dunes.


Texel is way closer to the main land than my own island, so you can see it in the distance.



This is one of my favorite pics of this walk.








If you look carefully you can see the yellow/red mark on the post. That marked my route around the island.

These kind of posts showed where the flood-line used to be. The coastlines are always changing.


Very small in the distance you can see a church spire. That belongs to the down Den Hoorn, which I passed from afar.










Because it was so frosty the roads and paths were quite unpleasant to walk on, especially the dirt roads. They were all bumpy and rigid and hard on my feet. But the beautiful landscape made up for it and I enjoyed this first walk very much and felt I was off to a good start.

After I reached Jan van Ayeslag I took a bus to my apartment. The public transport system on Texel is quite smart. There are busstops everywhere within walking distance and you order the bus half an hour before you want to use it and state where you want to go. It's kind of like a cheap taxi between busstops. It helped me a lot on my walks which often started or ended somewhat in the middle of  nowhere.

Next time we will pick up where we left off today. Until then I wish you all a wonderful and artsy day.