Thursday, June 16, 2016

From the Pattern Book

I know, I know! Just about every book I work in has in some way become a pattern book, but I still consider the moleskine sketchbook as the one and only original Pattern Book.

I have been doing what I call grid drawings in it recently. That basically means I start out with drawing a 1 cm squared grid on the pages in pencil and then use the lines to make up a symmetrical type of pattern. After that I draw out that pattern in dashed lines, remove the pencil lines and colour everything in with markers.

Here are some of my latest spreads:





I'm not quite sure why these drawings are so satisfying to me or why I'm so obsessed with patterns in the first place, but I guess when it comes to art you just have to go with what you love. :-)

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day.

9 comments:

  1. You're secretly designing for quilters and needlepointers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes, yes!! look at all those blankets!! yum! :-)

      Delete
    2. I get that response a lot. I do think a lot of my designs would be great in fabric, quilts and embroidery.
      As we are speaking a lovely lady in Israel is actually making a crochet blanket based on one of my patterns. How cool is that?

      Delete
  2. Your drawings are always so different and colorful. What kind of marks do you use with the Moleskin sketch book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming you mean what markers I use. I use the Faber Castell Pitt brush pens and big brush pens. They are fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Love all your patterns, Carin but especially the 1st one on this post ... I love both the design pattern and the gorgeous colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi. So glad you enjoy these. :-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...