Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A bit of sketching

I don't sketch a lot. By sketching I mean drawing things from life. It's one of those things that I wish I would enjoy more, mostly because I think it's an important skill for any artist to be able to render what they see. It gives you control over the lines you draw and helps to translate visions you have for you own art to the page or the canvas, even if your art is abstract or 'doodly' like mine mostly is.

I very occasionally draw things, not nearly enough to even come close to growing a skill, but every little bit is better than nothing, right?

Here's two pages I did recently in a newly adopted sketchbook:




 


The sketchbook is a Canson Art Book 180, which opens nice and flat, and the drawings were done with a simple black fineliner.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate doing these types of drawings. It's just that when it comes to a choice I'd rather be doing things that are in my head and play with shapes and colour instead of trying to render something realistic I see in front of me.

But who knows, maybe dedicating a whole sketchbook to actual sketching will get me more into it. I'll keep you posted!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day.