Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Morning Paintings #251-260

Time for another batch of Morning Paintings.

When I first started these paintings my idea was to spend 30 minutes on a page, but some of the paintings below took a lot longer than that. In itself I don't mind that much, but I'm finding it takes away from my journaling time in the morning and that I do mind. Sometimes I only write once a week, which is very rare for me and I miss it.

So I'm thinking of trying a different approach the coming year where maybe I won't finish a page every day, but will simply work on a sketchbook/art journal 30 minutes every morning and not care so much whether a page is finished or not. I'll let you know what I come up with. For now my plan is to simply fill the sketchbook I'm working in the 'old' way (a page a day), but when it's done I will start a revised art practice in the morning. We'll see how it goes.

Here are paintings no. 251 to 260!

#251 - Block Pattern

#252 - A Minor Variation

#253 - Pattern Variations

#254 - Stitched Blocks

#255 - Diamonds

#256 - Diamond Variation

#257 - Flowers and Washi

#258 - Flowers and Washi

#259 - Flowers and Washi

#260 - Flowers and Washi

For some of these I tried to use the same colour combination in different ways. I love experimenting with colour and seeing what happens if you use the same colours with completely different pictures. Paintings #253 to #256 are examples of intricate works like I mentioned above. These can take up to two hours sometimes to finish. I don't mind spending two hours on a paintings, but for my 30 minute practice a day I think it's a bit much, haha.

I hope you enjoyed looking at these paintings though (I sure keep enjoying making them) and I wish you a wonderful and artsy day.


8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy looking at these. The colors and your different artist flair is really impressive. I am going to give this a try in a smaller journal. Do you make up the designs yourself or do you find the patterns elsewhere? Thanks for sharing your artsy world with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words Barb and yes, of course everything comes from the jumble of ideas in my own head. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have been following your journal art and have really enjoyed this, u inspired me to start a journal, I make sure if nothing else in my art world, I do something in the journal daily as it is healthy for me, I don't consider myself an artist, I do metalsmithing, this is my love but it is not always kind to my back so I started to do collage art since I loved it in high school and I fell in love with collage even more, but I wanted to learn more, anyways I can see me growing thru my journal so thanku so much! The artwork u just did, the colors r my favorite, what materials r u using? Aloha, angi in hana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are enjoying art journaling so much Angi. As for these paintings I mostly use a gouache studio box by Caran d'Ache with 14 pan colours in it. It's a pretty good student grade paint. Sometimes I will add details with paint markers (UniPosca) and elements like washi tape or labels and such. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. I also love looking at what happens with the colors in those paintings (253-256) - I LOVE 254 (stitched blocks)!!

    I agree that letting go of the idea of finishing one day is a good one, especially because this practice has become a settled part of your life - time to make sure it is friendly to the other parts as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how a lot of my paintings have a stitchy thing about them as if they could be turned into quilts or embroidery or something. Maybe one day I might try something like that.
      I have really come to love my morning practice, so I'm sure I'll find a way to make it more 'doable'. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your reply.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...