Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mixed Media Bird

Sometimes, not very often, I get struck by the and-now-its-time-to-just-shove-acrylic-paint-around-and-see-what-happens bug. I don't work very often in acrylic. I love the paint, but it takes a bit more work than panned watercolours, coloured pencils, markers or gouache. It's...well...it's just a bit more messy. But sometimes you want messy.

So when the bug struck me this time I had no choice but to give in and here's what happened:


I didn't set out to paint a bird. I didn't set out to paint anything specific. I just took some old painted papers and collaged with them and added paint and this shape just appeared and then I knew I was painting a bird! I love how that happens.

Here's a few close ups, look at all the scrumptious layers!







I put the finishing touches in with acrylic markers and of course I had to sign my masterpiece. I had a blast doing this painting. I think it's important to play for play's sake, which is also for your own sake by the way. People have a way of forgetting that last bit, but I'm here to remind you. ;-)

This piece was done in my Canson XL Mixed Media Book and measures 11x14 inches.


Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

14 comments:

  1. Wat een heerlijke kleuren Caatje! En dat op een druilerige zaterdagmorgen (nou ja, jij schilderde de vogel al eerder, maar ik ZIE 'm op een druilerige ochtend...) Geniet van je weekend meis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, geen idee wat voor weer het was toen ik hem schilderde, maar de kleurtjes vind ik zelf ook heerlijk. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love this. Vibrant and beautiful. Have a happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette! Hope you had a good weekend too.

      Delete
  3. Leuk idee om te vertrekken vanuit de collage en goed gelukt !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank Debora. Soms is het zo lekker maar wat aan te modderen. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adore the colours and textures. It reminds me a bit of the Romany style of painting, inside their beautiful caravans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Caatje! I love that you just played around with no preconception of how it would end up! Wonderful layers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carin. Your bird painting is just simply wonderful in every way. I love the rich deep colors and all they layers and the bird itself. If you ever consider selling this piece I would be very interested. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful inspiring creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'll pm you on Facebook. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...