Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Typography in the Fodder Book

The Fodder Book that was intended as a sort of art journal to work with a book by the Journal Fodder Junkies, has become a watercolour book instead where I fill page upon page with patterns, doodles and other ideas. Mostly I just draw something in a hard pencil (lighter lines) and then colour it in very patiently with watercolour, doing my best to stay within the lines. I tell myself this is a good way to practice my control over the brush.

It's strange how in this book I can bring up this patience, where as in other art forms (like drawing) I have much more trouble doing that. Maybe it's because doing this doesn't really require any brain work. It's very zen, and when you have a restless mind like mine anything zen is most welcome. ;-)

The following pages are part of an experiment I'm currently working on trying to combine these watercolour pages with typography. I have a ton of letter stencils and it's fun trying to figure out attractive compositions with them and then colouring them in.





As you can see I'm also trying to combine the typography with my mosaics idea, but I'm still not fully happy with the results. Still a work in progress I guess. Must keep trying to find the right approach.

In the meantime I'm just enjoying the process of carefully colouring stuff in. If you have any suggestions as to how I can make that whole mosaics-combined-with-typography-thing work better, I'd love to read about them!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

12 comments:

  1. I think your combination of letters and mosaics is successful... I especially love the first one with the pink and orange colors! Thanks for sharing... I've been working on fonts lately too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emie! Great to hear you are working with typography too.

      Delete
  2. Leuk om te zien hoe je experimenteerd met letters, cijfers en mosaic. Ik vind ze prachtig.

    Bij gewone mosaic van tegels zit er een voeg tussen, misschien mis je dit effect. Persoonlijk vind ik de mosaic van gebroken tegels het mooist, lekker onregelmatig. Misschien kun je hier iets mee, succes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel. Toevalligerwijs heb ik onlangs een paar maskeermarkers gekocht waar ik precies het idee van kreeg dat jij geeft: in plaats van met potlood tekenen wil ik proberen met die markers de lijnen uit te zetten. Die kun je dan later wegwrijven en dan blijft er wit over (de voegen). Ik heb ook al zitten denken dat ik eens goed naar plaatjes van mozaieken moet kijken. Wie weet kom ik op ideeën. Dank voor het meedenken.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I sure have no advice for you -- in my mind, you are already a master of this! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not on the subject of your great blog, just a word of condolence to you and your nation on the recent air disaster, and my admiration of the dignity with which you are all handling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Fate would have it your comment was posted right about the time the first bodies returned home. I have no connection to any of the victims, but it is a sad time indeed.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you're having fun there Caatje. As always it's your choice of colours and the combinations that you use them in that I really love. I often start second guessing myself about which colours go well with other colours. The patterns in squares makes my eyes google just looking at them ... how did you keep from going cross eyed creating them? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that most colours will work together as long as you repeat them over the page. And yes, it does take focus to fill in those little squares, but I suppose that's why they are zo 'zen' to do. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Caatje, these are quite amazing! I would love a tutorial on creating a page like that second photo. How did you even do that? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, rulers and templates mixed together and then a little puzzle with colours. Basically I start by making a grid for the 'tiles', then I go over it with the number templates. And then I colour them in keeping the grid in mind. I chose different colours for the 'tiles' that made up the numbers than the ones in the background. It takes a bit of concentration, but it's not really all that complicated.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...