Friday, October 26, 2012

My first homemade stamps

Recently I finally tried something that I'd been wanting to do for a long time, namely cutting my own stamps. It was a mixed experience as I ended up with two very nice stamps, but also with an injured finger! Ouch!

I started with a stamp block especially made for cutting stamps. I had bought it ages ago at an art supply store and expected to really like working on it. Here's what I ended up with:



On the left the block as it started out and on the right, obviously, my new very own chevron stamp. These cutting blocks are made of a soft material on top of a wooden block. But that soft material is not soft enough in my opinion and it's very resistant to any drawing material or markers. This means it was virtually impossible to put a design on there to cut. Also it was an unpleasant material to cut and I slipped more than once with my cuttingtools, in the end injuring one of my fingers and blood was flowing (okay, this sounds more dramatic than it was, but it did hurt!).
For stamping the block is absolutely perfect though, it takes the ink very well and it's nice and robust. It also has a good size (about 3x3 inches, but they come in bigger sizes too). Still, I don't think I will use this type of thing again. I'd rather just cut linoleum prints (which I have done before by the way).

To see if it was just me or if different materials would be easier I decided to do a second stamp and for this I chose a very popular cuttingmaterial, namely a soft eraser! That turned out like this:


Even though this stamp is much smaller and more detailed, it was also much easier to cut and much easier to make a mark on with a pen or pencil. I will definitely use erasers again and I hope to find some bigger ones somewhere. This one measures about 1.5 x 2.5 inches. It also takes the ink very well (I used stazon for the tryout of both stamps).

Here's an example of how the stamps look when they are actually printed on paper (in this case my Studio Book).

(The red ink blobs are from another time and have nothing to do with my bleeding finger, haha.)

I'm quite happy with how they turned out and I will make more stamps in the future, but I will be more careful with choosing my materials too. ;-) Still all in all, I'll consider this little experiment a success.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy weekend! Now go make something!

16 comments:

  1. I love both your stamps, but I think the Make Art one is especially awesome. I hope your finger is recovering OK!
    I remember doing lino cutting in primary school (I bet that isn't allowed now - sharp tools and all that). I did a lion, I think.
    I have started Kate - she needs a bit more work though, so she might be finished over the weekend. Possibly not tonight though because there is a Derren Brown programme on TV. But yes, I WILL go and make something over the weekend!
    love,
    emilyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to Kate! My finger is fine by the way. There is extra soft lino now. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, cause it sounds...soft! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hoi Caatje, wat leuk is hte he, zelf stempels maken. Ik heb nog niet met gum gewerkt omdat ik geen gutsen heb, maar met foambladen gaat het ook prima. En ik houd ook van de vorm die je gemaakt hebt, mooi voor randen ed.
    Letters heb ik me nog niet aan gewaagd, moet ook nog in spiegelbeeld...
    Haha en ik dacht ook echt dat de rode druppels van het bloed was!!
    Goede week toegewenst!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, met foamvormen wil ik ook nog een keer proberen. Lijkt me leuk. Letters gewoon 'normaal' geschreven en via een truukje met zacht potlood als een soort carbonpapier op de gum overgebracht. Tja, dat van die druppels zag ik later zelf pas, maar was toch echt gewoon spettertjes verf, haha.

      Delete
  3. Love them both Caatje... gorgeous stamps... I love carving them... I don't know what the actual name of the product is... but at the last craft and paper show... I bought some carving blocks which really are just like extra large erasers... easy to draw on and to carve... I made four stamps from the one block...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds nice. One of the other commenters told me about a place where I might find big erasers, so maybe that will work too. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. I love carving stamps and want to do a chevron one! I haven't used either of these materials... I like the soft as butter blocks, no wood. Someday I will have to try carving erasers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erasers really are super easy to carve. Especially if like me you just cursed the wooden stamp blocks, grrrr. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Ik koop mijn stempel-gummen bij de Action, 4x8 cm voor ongeveer 30 cent. Er zit zo'n 'kinderwikkel' met plaatjes omheen, dus je moet even zoeken waar ze verstopt zijn in het rek... Met een potlood je ontwerp op kalkpapier (of vellum) tekenen, dan omdraaien en je kunt het zo op je gum wrijven. Tekent/ontwerpt makkelijker dan rechtstreeks op je gum. Nog een voordeel: je tekent 'positief' - omzetten op gum = 'negatief' - afdrukken is weer positief! Veel plezier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank voor de tip! Ik kom toevallig deze week bij de Action, dus zal eens rondkijken. Ik heb inderdaad een variant op wat jij aangeeft gebruikt voor de gum, maar ik teken het altijd nog even extra over voor de duidelijkheid, anders wrijf ik het zo weg. Voor het stempelblok zou die techniek niet lukken, daar kon ik zelfs met een permanent marker bijna geen lijn op krijgen. Heel raar vettig spul.

      Delete
  6. Yes, stamp carving is very fun but you've gotta be careful where you put your fingers and in what direction you cut. Make art, nice and very useful stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's just that the stamp block was so difficult to carve there was no way of not being in danger, haha. And yes, 'make art' is always good advice! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hoi! Ik gebruik voor mijn stempels Speedy carve... Is wel prijzig maar werkt echt ontzettend goed. (In Nederland is het online te bestellen bij noeks.nl en ondanks dat de naam op de mijne lijkt ben ik het niet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank voor de tip. Ik zal er eens naar kijken.

      Delete
  8. Well, shoot. I just managed to comment on last year's Kreadoe post. LOL. Looks like you and your sister had a good time this year, too!

    Nan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I saw it. And this isn't really the right post either. But I appreciate your comments Nan, thank you!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...