Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Making a coloring book zine

For the longest time now I have wanted to make a zine. You know, one of those self published little magazines that you can find on the craziest subjects. However I had no idea what my zine should be about.

Then a few months ago I posted a picture on Facebook of some felt tip pen drawings that I had done and colored in and somebody asked me if I got the pictures from a coloring book. Well..um..no..duh..I drew them myself! And then an idea was born: what if I made a coloring book zine? A little booklet with just some black line drawings that people could color in themselves. I might even ad some colored in images as examples. I loved that idea!

So a few weeks ago I started drawing with a black pens on drawing paper. I have six pages so far and I don't even know yet if I will include all of these in the final version, but to give you an idea of what I have in mind, here they are as a little teaser for what's to come.








So far these are loose pages that are A5 size. I don't know yet exactly how I want the zine to look, but I'm thinking the same size and then printed on folded A4's side by side. I don't know either if I will offer it only as a free pdf or also make a printed version. That's all to decide while I work on some more drawings for it.

The important thing is that it's fun to do and a new little challenge for myself to learn some new things, after all I never made a zine before.

Hope you are all challenging yourselves, no matter in how small a way, and that you're having a wonderful artsy Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun project, Caatje! I have an idea for a zine too (totally different from yours...non-arty), and have it just a little bit underway. I will enjoy watching your progres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andria. I'm curious what your zine will be about, hope you will share on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Wat een goed idee caatje! Je maakt mooie kleurplaattekeningen met veel ruimte en heldere lijnen. Ik persoonli vind de verticale lijnen ingevuld met droedels erg mooi! En komt er ook een dame met mooie jurk in??
    Minn persoonlijke challenge op dit moment is: wat voeg ik nog toe of ben ik klaar! Ik heb een canvas gemaakt met allemaal fotos erop en ik durf de fotos niet te omlijnen omdat ik bang ben dat het niet mooi is, ik ben bang het te verprutsen! Toch lees ik bij jou en ook bij Julie Balzer dat fotos omlijnen meestal noodzakelijk is. Zucht. Tot zover dus mijn uitdaging van deze week.

    Groet, Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heb nog geen idee wat er op de andere pagina's komt, maar een dame met een mooie jurk is bijna verplicht nu, haha.
      Meid, je moet gewoon stoppen als je het zo voldoende vindt. Heb ik echt ergens gezegd dat omlijnen noodzákelijk is? Niks is noodzakelijk, echt niet! Gewoon doen wat je zelf mooi vindt hoor. Maar....ook niet te bang zijn om iets te verstieren. Je kunt altijd eroverheen of hup naar een volgende pagina. Soms helpt het om iets een paar dagen te laten liggen en er met verse ogen naar te kijken om te zien of het nog iets nodig heeft. Succes.

      Delete
  3. Ziet er veelbelovend uit Carin!
    Ben benieuwd naar het eindresultaat.

    Groet,Marga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel, Marga. Ben zelf ook benieuwd, haha.

      Delete
  4. What fun! Making a 'zine is also on my some-day list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that some-day list. Does yours get longer every day too?

      Delete
  5. Dat ziet er mooi uit, het zouden trouwens ook goede borduurpatroontjes zijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nou, ik zou zeggen, leef je uit! Leuk idee.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant idea! And you're right, it's good to challenge yourself sometimes. Do you have an etsy shop? I opened one recently after months of putting it off.

    Now I'm off to look for a picture of Kate Winslet to inspire me(!)

    Happy zine-ing

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. No, I don't have an Etsy shop. I have thought about it, but I don't really have that much to sell. I'm still not sure if I want to or not. It's one of those things I have to really work out for myself before I start. Good luck on yours though.
      Look forward to the Kate-drawing!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...