Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cat out of bed

After drawing the cats in bed last week I wanted to make at least one cat into a little mixed media piece. There was no way I could do that in bed though, so I went to my studio table instead and tried and tried and finally came to this little work on canvas board.


It started out as a really colorful background that I just couldn't get to work 'right' (whatever that means) so I went over it with these dark colors. Because of this the piece has a whole lot of texture. I painted/drew this white cat over it that was done after one of the cats I drew in bed.  I also put on rub on texts that are all dutch sayings about cats.

I was not too happy with the end result and still can't say I really like it, but that fact did inspire the words on the piece. I got to thinking how cats don't care about what they look like at all, quite the opposite in fact: no matter what they look like they all act as if they are king/queen of the world and there could not possibly be anybody cuter/better/sweeter and more entitled then them ;-)

Maybe we should judge our art the same way or better yet: not judge it at all. It just is what it is. Sometimes we like it, sometimes we don't, that's all part of the process.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Caatje...I love the texture in your sweet little art piece...and how true, we are all so quick to judge ourselves and our work but just as you say, it is what it is... beautiful...

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out wonderful! I love the kitty. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...