Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Leaves in the sketchbook

I love leaves. Whether they grow on trees, flowers or shrubs, I enjoy their colours and shapes and am amazed at how many different varieties there are. So it's no wonder I often take photographs of them and sometimes I even sketch them.

Recently I did a page of leaves in my sketchbook, based on some of my own photographs.


I divided the page into four sections with the help of some masking tape. This is an idea I got from Roz Stendahl and I liked the clean look of it. I first drew the leaves in pencil and then coloured them in with watercolour. It was an exercise in patience, I can tell you that!

Here's a close up of each image:





It was interesting to really look at the shapes and to see how many different greens there actually are.

I'm quite pleased with the result too and hope you agree. Let me know what you think.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!