Sunday, September 9, 2018

Tall Ships Races 2018

The first weekend of August brought the finish of the Tall Ships Races to the port town of Harlingen. The Tall Ships Races are a sailling contest between larger sized sail ships that are also a training program for young (aspiring) sailors. You can read all about it here.

Harlingen happens to be the town where our island ferry reaches the main land, so it is very easy for me to visit. Having so many (mostly bigger) sail boats there plus the atmosphere of such an event made it a wonderful occasion to bring my camera and take lots and lots of pics. And so a day trip was born.

For your viewing pleasure, here is an impression of that photography trip I took the day after the ships arrived.





























Now obviously not all pictures are of  'tall ships'. Some are just of the harbor area and the other ships moored there or just of the things in and around the harbour. But it gives a nice impression of how Harlingen looks on a beautiful day as the center of sailing attention. ;-)

The cool part about all those moored ships is that you can go on board and look around as well. Especially when it comes to the huge ships this was fascinating.

Being there also brought out my love for lines and abstractions and details. Just think of all those ropes for instance and the lines with flags on them or the many pulleys. This was the source of a whole other series of photos which I will show you in my next post.

For now I hope you enjoyed tagging along with me and wish you all a wonderful and artsy day.