Friday, May 26, 2017

Take a walk on the west side

I live on a small island. It's about 26 km long and an average of 2 km wide (it ranges from 500 m to about 3 km). And yet I only go to the west side every now and then. It's mostly because it's more practical to walk on the east side, since that is where the town is where I live. Going to the west side takes a bus ride (I don't drive) or an extra long walk and both make it a bit of a day trip to do, since I am without a bike right now.

That being said, the other side of the island is even more gorgeous than the area where I live (if such a thing is possible). So when I do go that way I always  make sure to take an idiotic amount of photographs.

Last week I took the extra time to walk around the area called Kroonspolders and I thought you might like a peek at the place too.















Whenever I walk there I am always scolding myself a little for not going that way more often, but on the other hand, this way it remains a special treat to visit that area. Not that I ever get tired of the beauty of the place I live, but the east side is a lot more familiar to me than the west side, so it feels 'fresher' or 'newer' if you know what I mean.

I truly am fortunate to live in this amazing place and I am very much aware of my own privilege for doing so.

I hope you are surrounded by beauty in one way or another wherever you live and I wish you a wonderful and artsy weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I also do not want to ever take for granted the lovely place I live. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, in North Carolina. All around me are mountains and the reason they are called Smoky Mountains is that the clouds seem to get caught in the mountains, so always it is beautiful. Mountain Laurel bushes grow in abundance and other flowering trees and bushes grow naturally. Even the Kudzu which covers everything has beautiful purple flowers that resemble wisteria. I wasn't born here, so I try not to get used to seeing the beauty. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place you live sounds absolutely lovely. I think it's always a good idea to appreciate the beauty of our own surroundings instead of looking for it everywhere else.

      Delete
  2. oh my. what a gorgeous area. Are there towns or villages on the west side also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the island only has one town. There are a few houses on the west side, but that's all it is, a few houses.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing, Carin ... the entire island as far as I can tell by all your pics is beyond beautiful! I guess I never thought to ask you this before but how long have you lived there ... is this somewhere you grew up at [or is it close to where you grew up at?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from the east of the Netherlands. Vlieland(the island) is one of the most northern parts of my small country, so it's not where I come from nor where I grew up. I moved here 13 years ago when I applied to a job at the town hall/mayor's office where I work as an archivist. I always wanted to live near the ocean and it doesn't get any nearer than this. ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...