Tuesday, April 8, 2014

MJ's 32nd Book (International Fake Journal Month)

April is International Fake Journal Month and this year I'm participating for the first time. I'm working in an altered book and pretending to be MJ Wilkins. You can read all about her here.

This month I will show you the spreads in this journal as I'm working on it. Because I work rather randomly in the book not all shown spreads are finished, so you may see certain spreads again later this month.

I'm calling the book MJ's 32nd Book, because that is what it is. It's the 32nd book that my character MJ is filling, so she's an experienced visual journaler! ;-) Hope you enjoy this look into her process!















MJ does not always work directly in the journal. She does a lot of drawing and patterning in a carry on sketchpad. She then later pastes these drawings into the journal. Here are some of the drawings that still need to go into the book:


What I love about her is that she doesn't give a crap about whether something is worth showing or not. I mean really, see how hideous that tree painting is? I love that! ;-)

This is the work I did in the past week. I will try to post more during the process of filling this journal so you can see how some of the pages develop over time. The goal is not to fill the book or even to have finished spreads. The goal is to do the work. The end.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

12 comments:

  1. Goodmorning Mary Joan - I am a blogfriend of Caatje's and I am curious about what you think of her island and what journal pages you are about to make/show and how they differ from Caatje's work.... I don't have much time this month to follow it all but I hope to be able to hop to this blog every now and then to see what you're up to... Send Caatje my love and a pleasant stay in London when you speak to her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you so much Marit. I'm sure Caatje has a lovely time in London, I understand she always does, haha. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I loved your post and all of the pics you put up. Your work has always inspired me and it still does. Today, FINALLY, I just subbed to your blog so I won't miss it again 'cuz it'll be emailed to me. Yay! : )

    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi! So happy you subbed to the mail version, hope you keep enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. I've done this Fake Journal in the past but too busy trying to keep up with classes I signed up for right now. I was a pink poodle for the last time I did it! Have fun. It looks like you are really getting into it and practicing some drawing while doing so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pink poodle keeping a journal, now that should be interesting. Is it online somewhere (on your blog for instance)?
      I am enjoying this fake journal very much, it's very liberating somehow.

      Delete
  4. Your pages are absolutely remarkable and beautiful.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your pages and your drawings. Can't wait to see what else you do.....Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I hope the rest will be to your liking as well.

      Delete
  6. Heard about the Fake Journal Project but didn't commit to it. I'm wandering and looking up a few. I really like the freedom of your journal and got a laugh out of the page "You can't save time". We recently changed our clocks to "daylight savings time". I hate the concept.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too and that's exactly what the page is about. :-)
      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...