Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Doodle Camp

In July I took part in Dawn Sokol DeVries' Doodle Camp. This was a short online class about doodling. It only was five days (although of course people can still post and talk about it in the facebook group). It was...okay. This has little to do with Dawn or the class and everything to do with me, myself and I.

I sometimes wonder if I am the right person for online classes. In theory they always sound really nice, but the truth of the matter is that I would much rather just do my own thing without given instructions or other people's ideas and prompts. There you also have the reason I'm behind on the Sketchbook Challenge, I'm just no good with prompts. It's not that I can't work with them and I like what I've done so far. It's just that they always feel a little bit like homework to me.  The only online class I have really enjoyed until now was Mary Ann Moss' ROD class, because it taught me something really new and out of my comfort zone. (And well let's face it, Mary Ann is way cool, haha.)

But I digress,  I was looking forward to spending a few days completely focused on doodling and it was cheap, so I thought 'why the hell not?'. And I was very curious about Dawn's process and I thought it might give me some insight.

In the class we learned to make simple book with duct tape in the binding (ruined my awl, thank you very much) and there were prompts and ideas for filling the book. To challenge myself I decided to do the whole book in black, red and white. A very sophisticated colour combination in my opinion. ;-)

So, without further ado, here's the Doodle Camp Book!







The book is nowhere near finished (I think I'm almost halfway through), but I do like how what I have done has turned out. I have no idea if I will ever complete it. Even though I love how it looks, I was kind of fed up with working in it. Like I said, too much like homework. Still, it might make for an interesting book to finish. We'll see. If I ever do I'll let you know. For now I'll just consider it a temporary an unfinished experiment.

I think this book shows an interesting point. No matter how good something looks, if you have only limited enjoyment in making it, it's just never good enough. It's not about it being hard or challenging, I like a challenge, it's about pleasure in the work. I can move mountains if I just feel it's worth it and somehow this book just doesn't do it for me. Maybe sometimes it's good to just let things go.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy Wednesday.

10 comments:

  1. oh dear... you sound like me. I remember as a teenager practicing my violin in the living room and my father telling me what to correct and I would yell "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!" I kind of expected to grow out of that feeling, but you know, it is actually getting worse. It is hard for me to follow specific prompts or directions much of the time with just a few exceptions.

    So maybe we are on the same wavelength... not really a surprise. But hang in and continue to do your thing and share... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm allergic to people telling me what to do too! Also I find I have no need to tell other people what to do, I'm all like "jeez, can't you think for yourself?". I'm both a terrible follower and a terrible leader. ;-)
      I will definitely keep sharing though! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love that you shared this and it looks cool, but LOVE even more that you have your own voice. Maybe if you leave it for a while you will find a way to finish it with the colours but in your own way. Or it can just be an unfinished experiment....all good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows one day it will call to me again or maybe it will just be one of those things that never does. Indeed, it doesn't matter. It was interesting to see what I could do with just three colours and it makes for a nice looking few pages anyway. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ik ben zelf ook niet zo van de 'prompts' en 'doe-zus-en-zo-tutorials'... word er altijd een beetje opstandig van... Ik ben wel zo arrogant om te denken dat mijn online workshop je wel zou bevallen... Oops - zeg ik dat nou echt? Ik laat het staan ook... maaruhh.. ik vind je doedel pagina's echt goed hoor! En wat een opgave, in drie kleuren werken. Doedeliedee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, tuuuuurlijk zou me dat heel goed bevallen! Het was niet echt een doe-zus-en-zo-tutorial hoor, dit is helemaal mijn eigen interpretatie van de prompts en de opdrachten, maar toch....tja, het ligt me gewoon niet lekker. Raar eigenwijs mens ben ik ook.

      Delete
  4. I love online classes and tend to sign up for quite a lot, but finish very few. My favorite part is being able to come back to them. I'm working my way through Full Tilt Boogie at about one month a class. As you say, MAM is great fun, very sharing and I always learn new stuff. I do agree that sometimes, it's just best to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to take FTB some day, because I would love to learn some different binding techniques. ROD already taught me so much that I still use every day. Fabulous. Enjoy your classes!

      Delete
  5. I totally understand where you are coming from...I have a hard time with prompts and classes, even though I love the IDEA of them. Your book looks awesome, though, Caatje...I love the color palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andria! I did love that idea of just working with three colours myself, because it was out of my comfort zone and made the class at bit more challenging for me. I agree I love the idea of classes, but mostly am bad at taking them. ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...