Friday, August 2, 2013

(Water) Colour Explosion

It can come as no surprise that I like colour. As much I as I enjoy looking at other people's vintagy stuff or minimalist approaches, at heart I myself am neither. I'm a colour girl all the way. I sometimes wish I wasn't, because I'm always a little jealous of people who can make more 'sedate' calming things. But whenever I try it always feels as if something is missing. The funny part is though that a lot of positive comments on my work are about my use of colour, so perhaps I should just stick with my natural inclinations. ;-)

It can come as no surprise either that I like patterns and colouring in my own doodles. I keep a moleskine sketchbook just for drawing and colouring patterns. Mostly I do this with markers.

But recently I really felt like playing with watercolour. So I got out the big Moleskine watercolour book (about A4 size and also known as the Fodder Book) and got to playing. I first drew a pattern with a hard pencil (4H) and then I coloured it in with my brightest watercolours. Here are the results. You might want to put your sunglasses on! ;-)





For the one with the circles I used a circle template. The rest was drawn by hand. Besides the joy of making them I think the colouring in of shapes with watercolour is really good practice for getting along with your brushes. Trying to colour neatly inside the lines might just help you with your hand eye coordination and teach you to handle your brushes more precisely. I don't know if that's really true, but it feels true. Maybe sometimes it's a good thing to not colour outside the lines, haha.

I had such a good time making these that I doubt they are the last. I swear, if ever the gods of creativity decide to cut down my colour palet to just five choices I will go for yellow, turquoise, orange, apple green and hot pink without any thought. As long as I have those I can get my colour fix! ;-)
You can always see it in my watercolour boxes too, these are the colours that run out the fastest.

Do you have any colours like that? The ones you always turn too when you're doodling or just fooling around? I'd love to know. I hope you do and I hope that you play with them all weekend! Wishing you a wonderful and artsy one!

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE these!!! I'm taking Mary Ann Moss's SEWN class and these fit right in with the patterns we're painting!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emie! SEWN seems like a lot of fun indeed and I know from experience Mary Ann's classes are great, so enjoy!

      Delete
  2. These make me happy! They are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, it makes me happy to make them. :-)

      Delete
  3. What a fun collection of pages. My colors are yellow, blue and red(which can be pink) with a touch of white and green added. Yours look super and I'd have fun playing with them. I've just always liked the set I mentioned with the biggest change over the years being the switch from pink to more often, red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like you fancy the primaries and I the secundaries. ;-) Either way, playing with colour is big fun!

      Delete
  4. I love this!! Between this and the pages you showed the other day, I am grinning from ear to ear. You ARE color, to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Caatje.....I can imagine they would take time to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, but it is time well spent. :-)

      Delete
  6. What fun! And amazing colors! Looks like a fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love these pages and the colors. I am a bright color girl too. You keep right on going where you are the happiest. I so enjoy reading your posts and seeing your work. Thanks for sharing it. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are definitely a color girl! What type of watercolors are you using that produce so much color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were done with Rembrandt half pan watercolours by Royal Talens. They are pretty darn expensive artist grade watercolours (and I love them). But...I get just as colourful a result with my other box of Winsor & Newton Cottman watercolours (also half pans, student grade I think, and also love them), so I'm not sure the brand has anything to do with it. I guess I just lay the colour on very thick. Somebody who commented on one of my other posts says I paint with watercolour like I'm painting with gouache and I think that's true. ;-)

      Delete
  9. aloha! i love all your art work and your blog and of course your island! tx for sharing and inspiring, aloha, angi in hana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dat is een blije post met al die vrolijke kleurtjes ! ♥RINI♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Rini, ik word er zelf ook altijd heel blij van.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...