Wednesday, August 14, 2013

So I had some left over paint.... (and some words about the Canson Mixed Media XL Book)

I'm working on a new handmade book and it's going to be very colourful. It's also going to be a while before I have anything worth showing about it, because it's quite a lot of work and I'm nowhere near done. I will keep you posted in time though of course.

However sometimes one project can lead to others and that's what today's post is about. See before putting the signatures together I painted the papers with acrylic and then when I was done with that I had some paint left over. Sometimes I will use that to print papers with or just to fill up a sketchbook page. This time I decided to put the left over paint in this yet unused Canson Mixed Media book that I had. I bought it because it's huge and because it claimed to be full of mixed media paper. More about that later.

Once I filled two pages with the left over paint I just couldn't resist getting straight to work with them and here's what happened: two mixed media pages full of fun and colour! I'm showing you the full pages and some detail shots as well.









I so enjoy putting all sorts of supplies together on a page! For these pages I used acrylic paint, decorative papers, several stencils, gouache, paint pens, stabilo all pencils, wall paper clippings, drawing pens, glaze pens, coloured pencils, baby wipes, brush markers and probably at least a dozen other things. They really make me happy.

What didn't make me happy however is the Canson Mixed Media  XL Book. Sigh, the paper just sucks and is not fit for wet media at all. I think the only way I will be able to use it in the future is to prep all the pages with gesso before using it, but really, a paper for wet media should just be able to... take wet media without any hassle! I will not get in too much detail about it, but just refer you to a review by Roz Stendahl on her blog that I wish I had read before I had bought it. Just check here if you're interested. All I can say is don't buy this book if you actually want to do mixed media in it. I think it might be fine for drawing, though I haven't tried that yet.

I will probably keep using it by prepping it with gesso as it is a wonderful size (I have the 11x14 inch one) and gesso is the great equalizer after all. Still...another lesson learned: check for reviews before buying a new to you sketchbook online! :-(

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!

18 comments:

  1. Ziet er echt weer geweldig mooi uit Carin!

    Groet, Marga

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's funny- cuz i just picked up that sketchbook at the store the other day & wanted to buy it SO bad (but didn't have enough..) lol so that makes me feel better that I couldn't get it :)
    i think your page is still great- sucky paper can't stop you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing can stop me, haha! As I said, with a primer of gesso anything can be fit for use. But it is a bit annoying when the present it as mixed media paper. As some of the other commenters have said, your money's better spent on a Strathmore journal.

      Delete
  3. I was also quite disappointed with this Canson paper. I've ended up using it for leftover paint and as a drop paper for projects.
    I was very happy with my new Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal. The 140 lb. paper stands up to water great. For U.S. readers, Michael's is now carrying more high quality paper and mixed media books. Use your coupons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I fell for this one though because of its size. My watercolour journal is now full (the one I carry with me) and has now actually been replaced with a carry on size strathmore journal. Look forward to working in it.

      Delete
  4. I have thought I was getting a bargin when I bought any kind of mixed media journal. I also found out, the hard way, that if you use wet media the 140 lb paper is the only way to go and I find myself using gesso on it when doing just art journaling and not mixed media.
    I like your pages. They are colorful and different.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my workhorse sketchbooks and my daily journal are by Seawhite of Brighton and are filled with paper of about the same weight, intended for drawing and sketching, but they still hold mixed media pretty well. Not perfect, but okay enough. The quality of the paper is obviously very different from the Canson book even though the weight is the same. That's why I didn't balk at buying it, because of the good experiences with the Seawhite sketchbooks. Oh well...

      Delete
  5. Geweldig, Prachtige kleuren en een feestje voor het oog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the pages you did are super. Gesso will really help but you can also just use your acrylic paint by spreading it very quickly with an old credit card or such like one. I have done this even on cheap composition book (lined, essay book paper) and if done quickly and then left to dry it works. I have the Strathmore version and am even using it for watercolor, wet watercolor and it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have filled a Strathmore that was gifted to me by a fellow blogger and the paper is so much better than this Canson. I could not even get the page in this one to flatten until I had covered the back of it in gesso. These pages have no gesso underneath them by the way, but they are flat now because of gesso on the backside. The paper buckled like crazy when putting the wet paint on. It says on the cover it takes watercolour and acrylics (among other things), but it's really not suited for either. From positive reviews on amazon I can tell it's wonderful for dry media. I will try that at some point maybe. Maybe. :-)

      Delete
  7. I feel the same about the Canson ... do try Strathmore's Visual Journal. Incredible indescribable ...a true pleasure to work in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried and love the Strathmore!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic page! I have that tablet too and just like you I was not impressed with it one bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Also good to know others have the same experience.

      Delete
  9. I have to agree with you about the canson mixed media XL Book. I bought it about 2 months ago for an on-line class using spray inks, and the paper was terrible. It buckled like crazy. I let it dry and then lightly ironed the pages to flatten them again. Then I didn't like the way the spray inks turned out, so I gave it a light covering with gesso, and, then it was much better. So, needless to say, I learned that lesson the hard way too. The Visual Journals have great paper, but they don't have the size that the Canson does. Have you tried "Dylusions Creative Journal" yet? It has a variety of papers that are all pretty good for mixed media techniques, we or dry. The size of the pages are 11 3/8" by 8 1/4". Anyway your pages still turned out wonderful. I love all the wonderful colors. As always, thanks for sharing with us. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a Dylusions journal, because I ran into it at an art supply fair a while ago. I have not used it yet, although I have thought of a purpose for it. I have a huge stack of journals and slowly they are getting their own purpose, but it's the working in them that takes time. I will get around to it though. ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...