Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Another beautiful lady in a beautiful dress

It's a very (very) slow process, but I am gradually filling up a sketchbook with beautiful ladies in beautiful dresses. You may remember this project of mine. I use a wedding magazine as reference for poses and dresses and then I just go about my own way in drawing a lady in a beautiful dress. It's my way of practicing a full length clothed figure. They never come out as wedding dresses though. Here's my latest:

This pose was challenging as it was from behind, which I'd never done before.

I think it shows. Especially around the neck. It's a little too...um...exorcist, haha. As if she's bending her head too far.

But I am quite proud of the hands. I usually try to avoid those, but told myself not to be a coward this time.

The face is ... well...okay... a bit too girlish in my opinion, not really a lady.

But as a whole I rather like her.

The piece was done in watercolour and drawing pen with some added collage. I like the way the folds in the dress came out and I love the colour of it. The background I totally made up and I added some flowers that I cut from the wallpaper my coworker gifted me. It ads a nice touch I think.

The background is part of the fun of these ladies, as is the choosing of different materials and techniques. And of course making an image in a magazine your own is fun too. I altered the dress not only in colour, but also in design. It's like playing dress up and make believe with your own drawings. ;-)

Hope you liked looking at this new lady and wish you all a wonderful and artsy week!

6 comments:

  1. I love the details you included on her dress, and the shading you achieve with watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri. The dress is a combination of the wedding dress on the original image and my own ideas. I like playing around with these things.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Most of us need to practice our techniques in order to keep improving them. Thank you for sharing, she's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, and yes, we all need practice over and over again. :-)

      Delete
  3. It is the jawline....that's all. if the jaw didn't go up so far, her head would be slightly facing more forward....do you know what I mean??? I love all your work and I have gone into even your older posts. I think you are amazing and do amazing art work. Her hands are very, very good, and the dress is lovely. It's just the jaw.......smile...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I may try a few sketches of just her head and shoulders to see if I can get that jaw line down right. :-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...