Friday, September 14, 2012

Step by step mixed media spread


This will be a long post, because of the many many pictures. I promised you this mixed media step by step ages ago, but the weather kept intervening by making my studio just too hot to work in. But now it's all done and I hope you like it. It was done in my Studio Book which measures about 10x10 inches which is 25x25 cm.  You will see I use a truckload of different materials for this one, but that's why it's mixed media, right?

Of course I started with blanc pages, but I took no picture of that, you've probably seen white pages before. ;-)
Let's get to work!

I put some Derwent aquatone pencils on the pages and diluted the marks with gesso instead of water.

Then (after drying) I wrote over the surface with a graphite pencil. The same words over and over again, like a charm.

I cut circles from decorative papers and pasted them on with gel medium.

I drew circles around the paper circles with paint markers.

I stamped a pattern with bubble wrap and gesso.

I stamped some bigger circles with light blue acrylic and a foam stamp.

More circles were added with another foam stamp and turquoise acrylic.

Of the next step I didn't take a picture, because it was invisible on camera. I took some sticky back plastic and made masks by cutting different size circles and sticking them to the  (dry) surface.

I went over the surface with watersoluble pastels (neocolor II). You can see the masks clearly now.

I diluted these pastel marks also with gesso.

I stamped a new pattern with gesso and another foam stamp.

A diamond patterned foam stamp and a darker turquoise paint.

And again circles, now with orange acrylic. There's lots of circles on this spread!

After drying I removed the masks, revealing the first layers underneath.

With paint markers I turned these revealed circles into flowers by drawing leaves around the edge.

I outlined the flower leaves with a black glaze pen.

I added swirls over the circles inside the flowers, again with a black glaze pen.

Of course I just had to ad my signature dashed line around the borders of the spread. ;-)

I took an orange glaze pen and added swirls to the orange circles to give them a little more oomph.

Then I got my label maker and started adding text. I wanted words that expressed abundance.





I still felt something was missing so I got out a box of little trinkets.

I decided to add some metal butterflies to complete the spread.

And with that I considered the spread finished. Here's just a few more close ups.



I like the 3D effect of the butterflies and the glaze pen and the label words. It gives the pages just that little extra.

So for this page I used:
- aquatone pencils
- gesso
- graphite pencil
- decorative papers
- gel medium
- paint markers
- foam stamps
- acrylic paints
- sticky back plastic
- bubble wrap
- watersoluble crayons/pastels
- glaze pens
- a label maker
- metal butterflies

I hope this spread inspires you to mix and match your materials and try some new combinations. I also hope you enjoyed this step by step explanation of how this spread came together.

If you have any questions, please ask them in the comment section so others can profit from them too.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy weekend!

31 comments:

  1. Dat ziet er weer heel mooi uit Carin en de uitleg is duidelijk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that looks like tons of work! But the end result is great! How did you glue the mask as not to rip off the paper/paint underneath after removing them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sticky back plastic that removes very easily (for the Dutchies: I used 'kaftfolie'. It also helps to cover the paper underneath with a layer of medium so as not the stick the plastic directly to the paper.

      Delete
  3. this is fantastic! I don't usually work this way-but I think I should try it out! I recently joined the yahoo journaling group and I haven't had time to introduce myself but I've been reading posts and I popped over after reading your post today. Thanks for the great pictures- I feel like playing a bit in my journal this weekend now! Have a super day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you played a lot in the past weekend and had a good time, Kim!

      Delete
  4. Excellent tutorial! I always stop too soon, and don't get the deeply detailed results that you have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to cover layers that you really like. I know that feeling. It's not always easy for me either to do just a little more. It does pay off in the end, but somewhere in the middle there's always this moment where you feel you ruined the entire thing and should just have left it alone. (that happened to me when I added the orange circles)

      Delete
  5. wow, prachtig! Leuk om al de stappen te zien!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caatje! Beautiful work. I love the layers and your pictures were so precise in showing each step. Thank you for sharing. I love the way you approach art journaling and took notes for my next project~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, hope it helps. Enjoy your next project!

      Delete
  7. Way cool Caatije! I LOVE the pix of the process and must say that I would have had a hard time doing the next step...several times...because of covering up what was so beautiful...but it turned out perfectly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annie, that is really hard for me too. The only thing that kept me going at certain points is that it still looked too much like a background. There's a reason I love making backgrounds! ;-)

      Delete
  8. This is a great tutorial Caatje! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to find some of those masks. Congrats on the publication! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can easily make your own masks by using some material that is sticky but easily removable and cutting shapes from it. you could also use paper and a removable glue spray.

      Delete
  9. en het groeit en groeit onder je handen. hartstikke mooi is het!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's a lot of layering, Caatje! I love seeing how it all came together. It's so neat how the masks allowed you a peek at some of your earliest layers. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andria for your kind words!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing. Obviously it took some real effort to get these sequential photos, which are great. This is a really great spread, and a wonderful sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's not really that much work, you just have to remember to take a picture after every step you take, it kind of messes with the flow of working, that's the only reason I don't do it all the time, haha.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful Caatje... love seeing your progress steps... and love the circles... thank you for sharing...

    Hugs
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, this was definitely a circle oriented spread, haha.

      Delete
  13. I love this page and the label maker brought some amazing memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling. I couldn't believe they still sell them when I bought one a few years ago. I still love them.

      Delete
  14. Just awesome Caatje! As a newbie of course I have some questions about the materials you used... What is a glaze pen? I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Also, what kind of gel medium and paint markers do you use? Thanks for the info and keep showing us your gorgeous artsy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glaze pens are made by Sakura and are a type of gel pen that gives a slight 3D effect and a glossy finish. The gel medium is from Talens. I buy it in 1 liter tubs, but you can also get it in tubes. It comes in different thicknesses. I use the regular one for collage and such. I like it better than Golden. And the paint markers are UniPosca. They come in many colors and different tip sizes. They are wonderful. When you come here I'll let you play with all of them, haha.

      Delete
  15. I'm so glad I came back again to look. My journal will go with me for sure and I might even purchase some of the lovely pens and mark makers that I keep hearing about. In reply to your comment about our son...
    Thank you Caatje. I know that everything is going to be just fine. Thanks so much for your well wishes. We'll be at his house LATE tomorrow night!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you go back to Colombia with a trucload of cool supplies, haha.

      Delete
  16. Caatje: I love your writing, it is awesome. I love reading all the things you did. Just cannot get the mask into my mind. Have never enjoyed masking or transfers. The orange sticky stuff, I was taught to use always yuks the paper up. Maybe I should revisit masking. Do you have a favorite brand?
    All my prayers to all! I have had tough time too! Got evicted from apartment trying to get stuff out. May have a new apartment. I will believe it when we get to sign the papers.
    We work and can not just go run jump. We have to get permission to get off at a time for the signing. We have variable shifts.

    Oh, well, I hope they will work with us. Praying.

    Sherrie Roberts

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...