Monday, September 10, 2012

From the small sketchbook

Why do weekends go so fast? Why can't we just turn things around and work for two days in order to have five day weekends? I would totally be up for that! I don't think my employer would be, and I don't think my bank account would be, but me personally? Absolutely! Unfortunately how I work and how the world works do not coincide and the world wins. Sigh.

Note to self: must win lottery.

Until then I'll have to muddle through somehow and luckily I'm quite good at that, so today I thought I'd show you some pages that were done during busy times, while waiting, on lunch breaks and on the ferry, you know, the in between times. The pages come from my small sketchbook. The one I always carry with me. It measures about 6x6 inches (15x15 cm).

I think today's pictures can be divided in two very clear categories: system work and faces. Can you guess which is which? ;-)


 





In case you're one of those curious minds who wants to know: the patterns of the system work were done with a Stabilo 68 felt tip pen and the girls were done with my newest love, a Pentel Pocket Brush. This is like a fountain pen but with an actual synthetic brush instead of a nib. It's wonderful and the ink is waterproof. I also really like the unpredictable lines it makes.

The first two girls came from my imagination and the other four came from my trusted group of models: the mail order catalogue girls. ;-) I really love the last spread.

All these sketches were done really fast at times when I didn't really have the time. The system work was done on the ferry and took a little longer. It was quite fun doing them while an older couple sat across from me at the table. The man guessed I was a wallpaper designer and the woman kept giving suggestions for patterns to use. It was too cute! ;-)

I hope you all had a relaxing weekend like me (because I did, hence the frustration of having it end) and I wish all of you a wonderful and artsy week!

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your art journal with us. It's fun to see what other artists are working on. I think carrying a small journal with you is a good idea...maybe I need to try that myself. :)
    Jackie (geminisinger)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for me to know I always have something with me. Doesn't mean I use it all the time, but it's always there.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Especially the pages with the patterns are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marina. They also are a lot of fun to do.

      Delete
  3. What size is your small journal? Love your doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pages, Caatje! I have a spread in the Moleskin I carry in my purse that looks a lot like your first pattern spread. So fun to do! But as for your girls--that's a talent I do NOT share! Love the peeks at your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your story about the older couple. I bet you made their day!

    Your work with your "trusted models" the mail order catalog girls are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. The older couple did make me smile.:-)

      Delete
  6. Hallo Carin, op facebook zag ik de link naar je blog. Leuk om te lezen en zien wat je zoal doet. Kan me voorstellen dat je met al jouw bezigheden liever 5 dagen weekend hebt!

    Groetjes, Marga ( je nicht)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dag Marga, wat leuk je hier te zien!

      Delete
  7. great sketches. I love Pentel Pocket Brush and the ink is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I totally agree about the ink.

      Delete
  8. Love your sketches & I love that you fitted them in on the ferry & in between times. I like the look the Pentel Pocket Brush gives - will have a look for one I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The pocket brush really is lovely.

      Delete
  9. Catalogue girls are so good at sitting still through drawing sessions lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know. And so well behaved too.

      Delete
  10. Your doodles are amazing. I thought it was printed cloth. I also like your portraits. I need to actually use my brush pen sometime. I like what it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Beth, I might actually try transfering some to fabric. A fabulous idea!

      Delete
  11. Caatje - these sketches are great. Both types are inspiring and I have tried the Pentel Pocket Brush pen in black and think they are awesome! I now see I need to order one and get to sketchin' !
    Big hugs to you,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I do love the pocket brush. (no I don't get paid to say that, haha)

      Delete
  12. Work DOES have a way of interfering with life sometimes, darn it all. But I love that you make the most of the days you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annie, I have no other choice. The only other option would be doing nothing and that's just no option at all. ;-)

      Delete
  13. An interesting and fun post with cool drawings! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great use of those in-between times - and you had me at 'portraits'! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for your kind words.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...