Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sister City

My oldest sister celebrated her birthday last weekend. It's not really her birthday for another two weeks, but it was the only time the family could find where we all could come together, so we celebrated early. This meant my gift to her had to be finished a little quicker than I had anticipated.

I wanted to make her one of my little cities, so about ten days ago I got to work on the first layer:


After about five sittings in my studio (yes yes, I can work in my studio again, yay!) it was finished. And would you believe it, I was so excited I wrapped it straight up and forgot to take pictures of it to put on my blog! I know, sometimes I can't even believe myself! ;-)

Fortunately the painting was hung on the wall almost straight away after she got it (and she loved it), so I managed to take some shots of it while I was at her home. The lighting was not great, but you get the idea.

Here is "Sister City" hanging on my sister's wall:


It's on one of those 3D canvases so the city goes around the edge, but because of the (lack of) light I couldn't take a good picture of that, so you'll just have to take my word for it. It looks really cool.

Here's a few close ups:





If you have been reading my blog longer than today, then you will know this already, but for those who don't: there's a tutorial about how to make these little cities/houses in my tutorial section. Check it out. They are a lot of fun to do and really easy too.

Hope you're all having a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!