Thursday, November 17, 2011

I'm published!

For the past few months I've been keeping a little secret from just about everybody except one partner in artsy crime. I didn't want to jinx anything and mostly I just didn't know exactly how it would turn out. But today there's no more doubt, because for the first time in my life some of my artsy stuff has been published in a magazine! And not just any magazine. It just happens to be one of my favorite magazines, Flow!

This is the special winter edition in which my stuff is published.

I have talked about this magazine before because it's a great source for collage fodder and actually quite a few journal spreads of mine have pictures or words from this magazine, especially where the altered atlas is concerned. It has a really nice unique style and philosophy and sometimes a quite retro feel to it. What I also like about it is that it's the first Dutch magazine where I've seen things like Etsy get mentioned or people like the wonderful Keri Smith.

Out of the blue, a few months ago I was approached by a journalist from this magazine who wanted to write on art journaling for their extra winter edition about mindfullness. She asked if I would be willing to answer some questions about it,  and of course I was game! I mean, I've never (NEVER) seen any Dutch books or journals write about art journaling and it just happens to be my favorite thing ever and when my favorite magazine wants to know more about it, of course I want to pitch in!

This is the spread in the article where my work is shown. Six pictures, wow!

At first I simply assumed I was part of the research and that was that, which was fine with me, but after a while the journalist asked me for some images of my journals, saying there would be no guarantee that any of them would be published. That's when my nerves started to come alive a little, I mean, the idea of having my journal spreads in a magazine just made me giddy. But I didn't want to get my hopes up too high.

I knew the magazine would come out this week and I also knew I would be getting a free sample, but to my surprise one of my friends saw the article before me and texted me about it. I was completely stunned to not only be quoted and have my blog mentioned (which I already knew about, because the journalist sent me a trial version of the article) but to have not just one, but six (SIX!) images of my journals in the final article.

Close up of right page

So today I just had to have the magazine in my hands. Never mind that I will still get one for free. I would never cut up that one, because I want to keep it and treasure it. So an extra issue  for collage purposes would be a good idea anyway. So I ran to the bookstore and got it. I was so psyched about it all I showed the salesperson my pages! I was so happy I even bought some chocolates to treat my coworkers and have them share in my giddyness.

The article is seven pages long and has some beautiful journals of other artists in it, which of course I cannot show as it's not my work, but the Dutchies among you should really check it out. It's a really nice story with some very good links and book titles for people to peruse. I'm really pleased to have been a part of this.

Close up of left page

I'm also curious if this will bring some extra traffic to my blog of course. I have no idea if something like this affects traffic or not. But mostly I hope that some Dutch people will have that revelation that I felt when I first heard about art journaling. I was just blown away by the idea that you could do other things in a blank book than just write in it! If just one person finds their way into art journaling through this it will be worth it.

PS
On a totally different note: the above inspired me to finally finish my about-me-page. If you have a moment to spare you might like to check it out, just click the tab above. Thank you!

37 comments:

  1. Hoooray congratulations to you....... cheers! xo hugs, bonitarose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proficiat!! I was in Holland today and I had the magazine in my hand...but i haven't looked in it. Next time I'm in Holland again I will buy it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go. Congrats. Much deserved so by all means you should be celebrating and shouting from the roof tops!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your post on the Art Journal list. Congratulations. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caatje, wat een geweldig nieuws! van hartete gefeliciteerd meid! Helmaal toppie!
    Wat een leuk blad lijkt mij dat, ik ken het nog helemaal niet !
    Groetjes uit Zoetermeer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aggghhhhh nu zit ik even goed te kijken en ik zie dat het de Flow is, natuurlijk ken ik dat. Gaaf joh, helemaal te gek voor je!
    Nog een groetje uit Zoetermeer!

    PS ik ga hem vandeweek meteen kopen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such happy news. Your blog always is an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Caatje...this is awesome! I think you will inspire lots of people to explore art journaling with all of those beautiful examples of your work that they published.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations - thrilled for you. I am sure lots of people will be inspired by your beautiful art :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Your pages are wonderful! I think the magazine was lucky to have your beautiful artwork for their issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geweldig! En nu ga ik het nummer helemaal kopen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hè, wat een lekkere stimulans! Voor jouzelf en voor de lezers.
    Geniet ze.
    jop

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!!! Congratulation Caatje! What fabulous news I'm so pleased for you. Hope it does bring traffic to your blog. We don't have that magazine here or I'd rush out and get one just from your scrumptious descriptions of it. Thanks for sharing your happy post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, way to go! Your work is wonderful and I would bet this is only the first of many published articles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Caatje,

    i'm delighted for you! What a cool magazine and your spread is LOVELY. thank you for the kind mention :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on a job well done!!! from a ROD classmate

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Caatje!!! What a wonderful experience for you! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. congratulations! it looks like a great article, and I'm certain, especially since this is a new topic in the Netherlands, art journaling will definitely become a popular topic! thanks for sharing your great news with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! That's fantastic and very well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gefeliciteerd Caatje! Dat is geweldig!!! Als iemand het verdient, ben jij het wel!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yah! and hearty congrats. Wish we in the States could see, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Onwijs gefeliciteerd Carin, als abonnee van Flow is het leuk eens een "bekende" in het blad te zien

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ik vind het helemaal super dat je in de Flow staat. In de Flow, ik vind het zo'n mooi blad, wat een compliment voor jou, jouw werk staat er nu gewoon in. Stiekem ben ik een beetje jaloers, maaaaaaaar op een goede manier, want ik gun het je helemaal 100%. je maakt prachtige dingen en je verdient een geweldig groot publiek!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your spread in the magazine. I should think that if your blog addresss has been issued in the article then you will be bound to get traffic coming through to your blog. Excellent news. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! this is soooo great! Congratulations!
    Sweet Blessings, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super!! Ik had al in de flow gelezen dat er een doeboek aankwam en was al helemaal blij verrast dat art journaling één van de onderwerpen zou zijn, maar wat leuk dat JIJ er in staat! Proficiat zeg!! Ik hoop het doeboek hier in België te vinden, dan schaf ik het zeker aan! Ga nu maar lekker weer op een mooie roze wolk gaan zitten, want je hebt het zo hard verdiend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi.I just discovered your blog and love it! Congratulations on being featured in a magazine...wish I could get it here...I love art magazines like that.My daughters and I enjoy looking at them...we have started on our own art journals but haven't had any inspiration to do so lately. :(
    Please also stop by our project sometime,thanks!
    PS-Love your atlas...it's super cool!
    http://2011letters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is SO exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super gaaf! Ik had het nog niet gezien, leuk zeg...
    Vreemd altijd weer he, om je eigen werk in een tijdschrift tegen te komen.

    xx Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gefeliciteerd met je publicatie! Heeft het blad een ISBN nummer zodat ik het ergens kan bestellen in NL?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...