Monday, July 11, 2011

Presenting The Fully Handmade Book!

Over the past few months I have let you share in a lot of freebies and other pictures that featured elements for the 'big' project I was working on. With big I mean 'a lot of work' not so much 'a really large thing'. Inspired by the ROD journal I wondered if I could make a book that did not consist of remains of the day nor of pretty ready made papers and elements, but that would fully consists of stuff that I had made myself.

So I started painting papers and I started drawing labels and tags and borders. About ten days ago it all came together when I finally began constructing the actual book and I am proud to say I finished it and here it is:


I call it the Fully Handmade Book! The book measures about 12x16 cm, so it's about A6 size.

After making all the papers and elements, which took a lot of time, the cover was finished within a day. I had thought about maybe dying my own fabric too, but this pink fabric just called out to be used for this project so I decided against it. Maybe next time.


I did spice up the wrap around ribbon. I found it so utterly boring, even it is a beautiful blue color, that I decided to sew a load of buttons on both sides. It looks really cool, although I hadn't thought about how heavy it would make the ribbon ;-)


I added some ribbons to the fabric of both the outside and inside of the cover. I kept it simple, because the fabric itself is busy enough with all the stitching in all those bright colors.


The book consists of five signatures of 16 pages each. The signatures are hand sewn into the cover, but the rest of the book is fully machine stitched. All the papers were decorated by me and all the labels and borders and stickers were made by me as well. I made freebies of all the elements which can be found on my flickr. Feel free to use them.

I won't bore you with all the spreads, but here are a few just to give you an idea of what the inside of this book looks like.






I think I will use the book to collect quotes. It's too small for me to be a regular journal. For now it's just lying there looking pretty in my sewing room and every now and then I can look at it and be proud of my little big project! Hope you enjoyed looking at it too.

Wishing you a wonderful artsy week!

41 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely one of the most beautiful journals I have seen. I love that it is all "handmade" with all of your painted papers. Wow Wow Wow. You did an incredible job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book is simply amazing! I adore your color choices and your cheerful artwork. I'd love to see every page of this gorgeous book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ROD! Love your 'handmade' pages and button wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love everything about this book. Your color choices, the buttons on the ribbon, everything. What a satisfying feeling to have done all the elements yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your incredible talents with us! You do some amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else on your journal...it's spectacular. The colors just rock and your pages have so much personality. Totally LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way this book flows. One of the nicest ROD books I have seen yet. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this. It will make a great quote book!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the design of this book --- really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love love love......love! Your book is such an inspiration! Beautiful in every way!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is absolutely fantastic. I love that you made everything by hand - so it really is an artist book! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! What a lot of work! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your book turned out totally beautiful. I love everything I can see in and about it!!! I think quotes are the perfect thing for it and maybe you could add this one...
    I (Caatje) am a FABULOUS artist! Oh yes I AM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a gorgeous journal, inside and out! I love the horizontal ribbons across the cover. I'm so glad we got to peek at the spreads inside, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very beautiful. Great colours and love your stitching on the pages too. Have fun using it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Caatje... your book is amazing... it certainly is BIG... oh my gosh all those gorgeous pages... love the buttons on the ribbon too... so fabulous...

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! What a lot of wonderful responses. Thank you thank you thank you! You are all making my day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your journal looks great! The consistency of your style throughout the book makes this one really unique. Great job, and thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful journal. You did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely beautiful!! I can see using it as a regular journal, but a quote journal would also be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice! I love the way the whole journal flows with the color! the elements you've added are great surprises too. congratulations!
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  24. Caatje - This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are very talented - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loooove it my dear, it's wonderfully colourful and awesome! Love the buttons and the inside pages, how beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous journal. All the colors must make you smile every time you open it. It is really beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow a lot of work went into that little book Caatje - wonderful!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful book the pages are just wonderful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is a great journal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's such a lovely and happy book! You're going to have a great time filling it up and enjoying it - wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a beautiful and colorful journal! very nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love how you hand made everything.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is my favourite remains of the day journals I've seen, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your pastels and continuous color scheme just make it wonderful. Way to go, Caatje. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...