Friday, March 23, 2018

Sea of Ice

I am a great lover of winter, but I live in a place where the winters are mostly mild with an exception here and there. A few weeks ago we had such an exception when the temperatures were extremely low and the wind was an ice cold torture from the east. I loved it!

What's more: the Wadden Sea started to freeze. The water there is pretty shallow so it freezes more easily than the North Sea on the other side of the island. It gave some spectacular views that I'd like to share with you today.













These pictures were taken on the day the thaw set in. That means that all the ice started to move. It was a beautiful sight to behold, so I took a little video for you as well. Do put on the sound, because not only can you hear the birds telling us spring is on the way, you can also hear the ice move!



As I am writing this post we are several weeks ahead and all the ice is gone again. This freezing sea water happens maybe once every five to six years, so it may be a while yet before it happens again. I'm gad I got to enjoy it though.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy weekend!

PS For those of you who receive my posts by e-mail: you have to go to the blog to be able to see the video.