Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Real Journal

After closing the fake journal I had to start a new journal to work in, since I had finished The Notebook just before I started International Fake Journal Month.

I chose a simple A5 sized Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook. I love the sketchbooks this company  makes, so far I have not seen their equal as in versatility, not even the Strathmore journals will take all media so well. The paper is not perfect, but it's close enough for me. I find the Strathmore (I have only tried the ones with the vellum finish), don't respond well to drawing pens, the pens tend to skip on the paper. Also the Seawhite comes in square formats which I really like, even though this obviously isn't one of those.

When I opened the new journal I couldn't resist naming it as follows:


That's right, it's the Real Journal! I have to laugh at myself over this, but it was just begging for it, haha.

The inside cover is not really in use, except for testing pens and such, because I'm working on a fabric cover for the book and this part will be covered then. You can see a hint of the materials I will use for the cover over here.

Here are some spreads I've done in the journal so far:

This one is not finished yet, it will get a line drawing pasted onto it as soon as I...well...draw it.







I have done some more writing here and there, but it's not very interesting to look at, so I didn't take pics of those pages.

My intention for this journal is to be very much like the Notebook a hold all for all kinds of everyday stuff, but with more added visual art. So it will be like a bit of a mix between The Notebook and the fake journal. We'll see how it goes. I always have to get used to a new book for a while before I feel comfortable in it and I'm slowly getting to that place right now.

Hope you enjoyed this first peek into this new journal and wish you a wonderful and artsy day!