Saturday, November 10, 2018

Back to my morning art

In the beginning of 2015 I started a new personal routine by doing art every morning, mostly before breakfast. This new habit has gone through many changes and many challenges, but I was pretty consistent in keeping it up.

However when life got a bit too overwhelming last spring I decided to take a break from it all and just not do my morning art for a while. It was a good decision by the way.

At the time I didn't know if I would pick it up again or if it would just be the end of this daily routine. I didn't really mind one way or another, I was already pretty proud for having done this for over three years and it had given me a lot of pleasure and a lot of filled sketchbook pages too!

Still, at the end of the summer when things started to quiet down a little and I got back into my regular rhythm and pass-times, I actually started to miss it. So very carefully I did a few  pages in a moleskine sketchbook that I had already started using ages ago. The idea was to just see if I would enjoy doing some art again every morning or if I would find it less pleasurable than I remembered.

I finished three spreads in this sketchbook in about three weeks. Patterns take a lot of time and I do the morning art about half an hour every morning. Here are the three spreads I did:


The stain on the top left is the result of a helpful cat. :-)


After three weeks it was obvious that I was very much enjoying doing this again and I decided to start a fresh sketchbook just for my morning art again. I'm focusing on patterns in felt tip pen right now, because it's easy and practical. But in time I may return to some watercolour or some other media. It's all good as long as I keep creating something.

The most important thing is that I am back in the habit of doing some art before breakfast again. It shapes my day to start with art. I have been at it for a little over two months now and am still enjoying it, so that's a good sign. I will show you some of the new sketchbook in another post of course.

For now I wish you all a wonderful and artsy day!