Monday, August 3, 2015

Morning Paintings #161-170

I think that when at the end of the year I look back on my artsy endeavors in 2015, there will be nothing that makes me prouder than doing my morning paintings. Even if I quit tomorrow (which I won't) I will still have done a painting every day for over half a year. Every day! Who knew I could even do that for a month?

I feel like this painting practice is doing much more for me than just delivering a painted page every day, but it's hard to really put it into words. I think one of the biggest things is that I'm starting to see where my heart lies when it comes to painting and drawing and that I'm giving myself permission to just put on the page what I like.

The thing is that when it comes to painting and drawing I have such admiration for people who draw from life and who fill their sketchbooks with their everyday surroundings. But the trouble is, I don't really enjoy doing those kinds of paintings, except once in a blue moon. I like imaginary stuff, I like to make things up. I'm more a doodler than a representative artist. And it shows in my paintings. And it's all good. ;-)

Here are paintings number 161 to 170!

#161 - Rainbow Mandala (It was very difficult for me to leave the background white!)

#162 - Abstract Nonsense

#163 - A Bunch of Flowers

#164 - Heart

#165 - Profile Picture

#166 - Expand

#167 - Flowers

#168 - Flowers + Ink

#169 - Labels

#170 - Purple Flowers

Yes, I'm still on a mandala trip and I haven't tired of flowers yet. It's interesting how even half an hour before I start I usually have no idea what I'm going to paint. And then I sit down and the painting just happens. I'm not sure if I've become a better painter in the past half year, but I have become more confident in handling a brush and a blank page! That's progress too, right?

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you found what you like to paint and you're sticking with it... life is too short to fell like you have to make art that you don't have fun making. Me? I dabble in so may different things but I'd love to find one thing I love and stick with it. Thank You for sharing your arty adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I dabble in many many things too. It's the only way I can keep this artsy stuff interesting. I like to see this simply as being versatile. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love your comments and that you teach us how you go about these morning paintings. I've just started a blog (to introduce people to the idea of taking retreats) and I am now in awe of how bloggers get those posts out! Have you considered making fabric from your drawings? The one today called Abstract Nonsense would make beautiful fabric-so would lots of others! Your work is inspiring tome, and the lovely postcard you sent me is on display in my little studio! Thank you for all that you share with us, Caatje! Sandy in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for starting a blog, I'll check it out soon. Blogger's feature to prepublish has been a life safer for me. I blog once a week and then turn out two to three posts at once that I spread out over the coming week. That's the only way I can keep up with it.
      As for fabrics, that would take repetitive patterns which are a bit more complicated and would probably require the computer to help out. I have looked into it, but am just not ready to get started. I would like to make copies for collage paper though.

      Delete
  3. Hi Carin-thank you so much for the blog advice, telling me how you go about it and I wasn't aware of the prepublish feature, so will look into that. What a time saver! I'm getting a little more comfortable with blogging now. I did add your site to my own list of favorites. Over here, August 15th is National Relaxation Day, so I'm hosting something called The Great Retreat on that day-people can relax and take a bit of time, wherever they are. I feel on a little retreat when you show your pictures of the island. I may not travel there, but I can visit through your camera. If you join in on the Great Retreat, I would love to hear about it. There's more info on the blog: http://www.attractagreatlife.blogspot.com
    Thank you for your help-it's most generous. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sandy. On August 15 I'll be having a friend over who wants me to show her the island, so no retreats for me I'm afraid. ;-) Wishing you a wonderful experience though.

      Delete
  4. Carin-your time with your friend IS a retreat, already! A retreat for two. Have a great time on your beautiful island!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...