Thursday, August 6, 2015

Finishing the Pattern Book!

Ah, the Pattern Book! I'm not sure exactly when I started it, but I'm pretty sure it was around two years ago. It was a nice moleskine sketchbook and sort of by accident I found out the paper went really well with my Pitt Big Brush pens. And so I started drawing patterns. I love drawing patterns, they are relaxing and colourful and very satisfying.




I read a quote by artist Helen Dardik who says: "Drawing a pattern feels a bit like meditating and solving a puzzle at the same time.", and that is exactly how it feels to me. And sometimes I make mistakes with the puzzle part, but it's all worth it just for the satisfaction of yet another colourful page.

And now the book is full. There are exactly 100 patterns in it. The book is like a gem of colour and shapes and I love it to bits.


I love how the book seems so unassuming when it's closed. Just a black book. And then you open it and there's an overload of colour jumping right at you!

Here are the last three spreads of the Pattern Book, mostly done during the few really hot summer days we've had so far.




As happy as I am with this book I'm almost a little sad it is all filled up. Now I have to move to another one and that kind of feels like having to start all over again. I did start actually. I bought a new moleskine sketchbook and the first pages have already been filled. But I'll tell you all about that in some future post.

Here's one last look at my filled up gem:


Now it will live with my other filled up books and from time to time I will look through it and sigh. I also intend to make colour copies of some of the pages, because they will make wonderful collage fodder! So it's probably not the last you've seen of the patterns in this one. ;-)

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!