Friday, February 27, 2015

Morning Paintings (completing the first sketchbook)

When I started my morning painting ritual my only goal was to fill this small sketchbook that I had dedicated to them. It's a Seawhite of Brighton Eco Sketchbook and it only has 32 pages, but still I found it rather ambitious of myself. And now it is full!

If these morning paintings have taught me anything it's that a painting a day goes a long long way. ;-) It really shows me that if you do a little bit on a regular basis something gets built up and it's a very different experience to know this by actually living it than just thinking it.

Here are the last nine painting of my first daily painting sketchbook:

9 + 10 February

#24 - whimsical town

#25 - folklore heart

11 + 12 February

#26 - triangles

#27 - tea party

13 + 14 February

#28 - ornaments

#29 - house with cat

15 + 16 February

#30 - chevron

#31 - mandala

17 February

#32 - tulips

As you can see I've been playing a lot with whimsy. And I also have started using acrylic paint markers to go over the gouache painting to spruce them up a little.

I have to admit that some of these (the last one for instance and also the triangles) were simply not finished to me by the time I had to stop. I don't know how some of those other daily painters do it, but I'm seriously starting to doubt their claim that they can do a full on painting in 30 minutes! At least I know that I can't. The ones I like that are a bit more elaborate take about 45 to 60 minutes, but on my work days I just don't have that time. I am not going back into those later to finish them, because I want this book to be about process and not product and this unfinished business tells me I did the best I could with the time given.

Now that this book is finished I have moved on to another sketchbook, because quite frankly I think I have become a little addicted to this morning practice. ;-)

But that's for another morning paintings post. May there be many of them. ;-)

Have a good day all!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, the colors are beautiful and it looks like you kept the color theme throughout the entire journal. You get so much accomplished in a very short time. Some addictions are worth while and your morning is so rewarding. You really have a talent for using bright colors and you come up with great ideas to express your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it's a very different experience to know this by actually living it than just thinking it." Words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn a little every day just by doing this. ;-)

      Delete
  3. As always, I love your paintings and look forward to seeing more. I'm wondering, do you sketch everything out first before you paint or sketch only parts of it or no sketching at all and just painting?.......Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different every time. I do very few pencil sketches, I just don't have the time. Sometimes I do a simple set up in a light gouache colour like yellow, but often I just wing it. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love the colors.. and.. une ambiance slave (sorrry don-t how to write !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean though. It's what I refer to when I say 'folklore'. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I love your whimsical town, as well as the house with the cat...such invigorating colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Andria! It's fun to work with such strong colours.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...