Monday, February 9, 2015

From the Doodle Book

Every time I post the progress of one of my coloured doodle drawings on Facebook one or two people will comment on my patience and how they have none. Well, let me just inform you that I am not a patient person either. I would love for these drawings to be done in like half an hour and move on to the next. In fact when I'm in the middle of one I often wonder why I'm doing these at all. They really take me out of my comfort zone.

But that's kind of the point of them (that and just that I like the result): they are a training in patience. They are the paper version of embroidery (even though that takes even more patience, at least for me). I am someone who is very result oriented as much as I hate to be that way. So this kind of work is teaching me about quality over quantity and about living the process instead of focusing on 'productivity'. In the end productivity should be measured in the time spent enjoying art and making things and not in the amount of pages filled or work produced.

Here are two of my latest doodle drawings:









These drawings measure 25x25 cm (that's 10x10 inches). They were both drawn with Stabilo 68 felt tip pens and coloured in with coloured pencils. The pictures (especially the close ups) make the pencils seem a bit less opaque than they really are. They actually give quite a nice overall coverage.

I hope you are testing your patience in an artsy way and enjoying it too. Wishing you a wonderful day!

6 comments:

  1. These would test my patience too, but the results are probably worth it! Your color combinations are surprising and inventive. It's great that you're able to stick with the few colors you've selected for each of these. I don't think I'd be able to do that. I'd want to keep grabbing for MORE COLOR! However, I wouldn't get the awesome effect you've gotten here either. Yay for patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the amount of colours to about five or six is the only way for me to make these drawings work. I like picking new combinations with every new drawing. I've found that all colours can go together just as long as you repeat them often enough. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great explanation on WHY someone with no patience should do these. I just need to sit and do it, lol. These are so pretty and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, it's simple enough, now if only it were easy to actually do it too! ;-)

      Delete
  3. "In the end productivity should be measured in the time spent enjoying art and making things and not in the amount of pages filled or work produced." Wise words! I, like you, am very productivity oriented, and I understand and agree that it is good to find something that makes us slow down and appreciate the PROCESS. Great color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm realizing that no matter what it will never be enough for me, because whatever I accomplish there are always 3000 more ideas lurking around the corner that I did not get to yet. Slowing down may be the way to go for me, so I at least enjoy the process.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...