Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Picture Book

I have tons and tons of sketchbooks, blank books and scrapbooks around the house and, believe it or not, a lot of them are in use. Some you see come by here often (like the Fodder Book or the Pattern Book) and others not so much (like the sketchbook I use to practice portraits or the one for beautiful ladies in beautiful dresses). I am scattered over lots and lots of books and I actually like that, because it feels like no matter what I want to do I always have a place to go. There's just some places I visit more often than others, haha.


One of the books I've started to use recently is a very simple scrapbook. I have taken up collecting images that speak to me or that I may want to use as inspiration for art or drawing and I thought it would be nice to put them together in a no nonsense type of book. No embellishments, no artsy stuff, just stuff I like. For all intents and purposes it's just a picture book. That's what I call it too, The Picture Book.


I don't know if you can tell, but it's a mix of images I find in magazines, on the internet and my own photographs. I try to source everything by putting the name of the artist next to the pictures, but this is not always possible and I'm not too bothered by it, since this is just for personal use. In a way this whole thing reminds me of a sort of pinterest on paper. Printerest!


There's no rhyme or reason to how the images are organized, it has more to do with size than anything else. If an image fits in the remaining space it will get stuck down and if it doesn't it will move on to the next page.  I like the complete mismatch of things. It leaves my eye to just wander around the imagery and helps my mind to dream a little. 


I think just in these few images you can tell my love for patterns, girl's portraits, and flowers and such. I like that. I also like to see my own images mingled with those of other people. In short I find this whole thing inspiring.

For someone who tossed away her pinterest account this is the perfect solution and it feels much more tangible this way too. I used to pin a lot, but never really looked at them again, but with this I can just leaf through things directly.

Just thought I might share this in case it might give one of you an idea to try this as well. It's simple and it's cheap and it's quite relaxing to do as well.

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

14 comments:

  1. Great idea. I too never look at what I pinned on Pinterest again. It is a shame because I have some wonderful artwork and color palette ideas on there. I am going to give your idea a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do Roberta!

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. I don't look at Pinterest again either! I've unsubscribed to a lot of things lately and it feels good to simplify. I am a SoulCollage facilitator and hold a monthly workshop and we work mostly with magazine images or images from art books in a 5"x8" size. I think we all respect the artists and photographers that created this amazing array of images that we can use. Your collages are wonderful and there's so much nature and beauty shown there, You're right: it's fun to do and go back and look at. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful Picture Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Sandy! :-)

      Delete
  3. You may think you are just fitting items wherever they fit, but if you step back and look again, you will see how you are still making patterns. You are balancing colors, shapes, and designs on each page. So great! I am like you in lots of ways. I prefer having paper to hold and pages to turn over looking at a computer screen. I am not on Pinterest, don't even know how to join, but I have checked it out a couple of times and it is too overwhelming...just too, toooooo much stuff. Too many photos, too many..well, just too many of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only thing Pinterest has going for it is that it links to the site you got the picture from. So that way you can collect things like recipes or printables for later use. I had a whole board of printables, but after a year of never using any of them that seemed rather pointless.
      I guess you're right that I do arrange things a little, maybe even subconsciously, but it doesn't compare to what I consider 'real' collages or scrapbooking or anything like that. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Love this. It is very similar to the scrapbooks I had as a child...all just "stuff" that interested me. Wish I still had them! I rarely look at pinterest either...only to occasionally check out doodling patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will sometimes wind up on other people's Pinterest when I'm googling for something and then I do enjoy their online collections, but I have no need for one of my own anymore.

      Delete
  5. I do not look at Pinterest either, this scrapbook is truly a reflection of what you find interesting, a bit like an autobiography.

    Annie v.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does reflect my personality, that's true. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love creating books like this, and a few years ago I ran across the term "glue book" for them--just gluing down images to save. There is so much pleasure in looking through them again! I like Pinterest for that same reason--I actually DO go back to look through the images, or also to pick projects to work on. But some of my boards HAVE filled up to kind of ridiculous proportions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glue books I've seen were mostly a little more artsy than this, but I do like them a lot. Anyway, I know you really use your pinterest sources for ideas and such. For me it was always more about pretty pictures, so I don't need anything else but the image itself and for that a book will get used more by me than an internet site. That's just how I operate. I guess dispite all my use of the internet and social media I'm still basically an analogue person, haha.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...