Sunday, September 21, 2014

More experiments with masking liquid

You may remember my discovery of masking liquid markers a couple of posts ago. I used them then for doing watercolour mosaics. But of course I had to try them for some other things too.

So here are two more pages from the Fodder Book where I used masking liquid to draw and then coloured everything in with watercolour.



Oh dear, I just noticed there's a little piece of plastic stuck to this page! Sorry about that. ;-)




I really like how well they rub off after use. They write in blue and leave a sort of rubbery substance that resists liquids. This also helps with the colouring in of things, the lines resist the watercolour so you can be a bit less anal about not crossing the lines. ;-)

Afterwards you just erase the blue lines with a kneaded eraser. You can use a regular eraser or just your finger, but in both cases it would be a lot messier and in the last case your finger could get quite painful from all the rubbing (yes, been there done that). A kneaded eraser just picks up the blue rubbery stuff and integrates it into itself. I'm thinking over time this will mean my gray kneaded eraser will turn blue, haha.

I think I'm going to have a lot more fun with these markers, especially when it comes to making patterns,  and I am so glad I came across them!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy day!

8 comments:

  1. Those markers look great! Are they available in the US? I can't seem to find them in DIck Blick or Jerry's. I hate using the ones with the brushes. They are impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are made by Molotow and I know that you can get their regular paint markers over there, so I guess these should be available too somewhere, but I have no idea really.

      Delete
  2. I liked seeing how you used these, Caatje. I have used masking fluid in a pen and also in a dipping pot. The only problem I had with the pen was that it dried in the pen. I'm not sure if I used it incorrectly. These colors look great together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how these markers will hold up over time. So far so good. I do have to regularly clean the nib so it doesn't get covered with dried up little pieces of the liquid, but so far the flow of the pen has been great and even if the nibs would dry out you can get replacement nibs for the molotow markers.

      Delete
  3. The pages look great and thanks for sharing about the masking fluid pen. If you want to remove the dried masking, try a rubber pick up. It's a a square piece of rubber that is tacky and it picks it up very easily. You can find them in art supply stores. Also cleans up sticky adhesive as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, but I'm very content with using the kneaded eraser (putty rubber), It works very precise and clean and no mess on the table of erased pieces of masking fluid.

      Delete
  4. Such crisp clean lines...what a neat effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andria. They really are great to work with.

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...