Monday, November 11, 2013

My first gelli plate experiments

Well, I finally got myself a gelli plate! After printing with just a sheet of acetate I got really curious about this product and wanted to see if I liked it, so I splurged on a medium sized plate. And well, yes, I do like it a lot! The plate is much more pleasant to work with. Everything prints a bit clearer and more controlled. The surface of the plate is really nice. It 'gives' more than an acetate sheet, think very sturdy gelatine instead of hard plastic.

Anyway here are my first experiments:


I just played around with the same techniques I used for the acetate prints. You can read about those here. I really like some of the results and I really like how you can take a print first and then make a ghost print with the remains of your first print. I'm not sure if the results are better than the ones I did with the acetate sheet, but the way of working is more agreeable for me. Still, if you can't afford a gelli plate or can't get one, an acetate sheet or other flat non porous surface will get you far.



Now I've done my first rather random experiments I want to try more deliberate monoprinting and go for specific effects. But that's for another time and I'll keep you posted. For now I have some new pretty papers and those are always welcome in  my house!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy week.

8 comments:

  1. Keep at it and I think you will really evolve! By the way, I bought myself a set of Pitt pens per your recommendation!
    I love them! Where have they been all my life! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roberta, I've been checking tutorials on youtube for some ideas. And pitt pens are the best, glad you like them too.

      Delete
  2. I made a plasticized gelatine plate using 8 tbsp. of unflavored gelatine, 1.5 cups water and 1.5 cups of glycerine. It was much cheaper than the commercial brand and if I damage it I just pop it into the microwave and remold it.

    Before that I had tried to make prints from a thin sheet of plexiglass...without much success. I agree with you very much about the control and ease of use of the gel plate. I LOVE mine! Here is a link to the slideshow of my last printing session. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21N4tIJU2oU

    Your first experiments are so pretty! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's possible to make your own and how cool you did just that! I was just too lazy to try it, haha. Also have no idea where to get glycerine around here. Anyway I will check out your link and see what you've been up to.

      Delete
    2. Cool sheets Castle, and at least here in the states, glycerin is sold at the pharmacies.

      Delete
    3. Well, if ever I wreck this one, I may give it a try! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Fun fun fun - look forward to seeing what you come up with next

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...