Monday, September 30, 2013

Sketchbook Challenge - catching up on June

Last Friday I told you how behind I am on the Sketchbook Challenge and how I'm trying to play catch up so at least it will look like I have some will power. ;-) I recently caught up on May and now I am showing you June.

The theme for June was actually one that was right up my ally as it was 'garden doodles' and I love drawing flowers, especially ones that I just make up out of head. So that's exactly what I did and here's how it turned out:





In this case it's a two page spread and as you can see it's just full of flowers. I first did the basic lay out in pencil, but the details I added straight with a drawing pen. The background was filled in with watercolour in different greens and the flowers and letters were coloured in with Tombow Brush Markers. I really love the brush tips on those even though I know that the colours themselves will fade with time as they are not light fast at all.

What always surprises me is how long it takes to do a drawing like this. It looks so simple, but it took me about four to five hours to finish. But they were good hours and I really enjoyed myself, so I suppose it's okay. I just wish I had a better instinct about how much time things take, I always overestimate my capabilities when it comes to time. I need a more realistic view, so I'm not bummed because I didn't get around to the other 300 things I had planned to do that same day. ;-)

Well, that's all the catching up I've done so far. October is about to begin so I'm still behind three months. But three months is better than five and who knows I might actually finish the Challenge within this year. Perhaps. Maybe. ;-)

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy week!

8 comments:

  1. Bright and cheerful colors. Just looking at your work tells me that it would take a long time to accomplish your goal. TFS
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb, I wish I had a bit more of your insight while working, haha.

      Delete
  2. oh yes - no matter what I do - how much I do, there is always this sense of all the other things I didn't get to - I really need to stop this habit!!! I love your choice of colors and the way the flowers look so cheery. Yes, I can easily see that this kind of work would take quite a while - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not alone in this Judith. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ik zou eigenlijk ook eens wat meer moeten gaan tekenen... ik ben nooit zo van de bloemen, maar doodles of patronen of zo... het is inderdaad altijd erg rustgevend en een beetje 'zen' kan ik wel gebruiken eigenlijk - wie weet, pak ik vanmiddag daadwerkelijk een pen en begin gewoon. Geniet van de dag Caatje (is het op jouw eiland ook zo'n mooi weer?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tekenen is zeker goed voor je geduldspieren, haha. Weer hier is wat kil, maar...prachtig!

      Delete
  4. Love your picture. Try using a timer. You can set 30 minutes and see hoe far you've gotten and if you do that often you'll get the feel for how long it takes to draw or paint or glue stuff down. Sometimes it doesn't matter how long it takes but if you are sketching live it would and you'd be more prepared perhaps. I work both ways having some fast sketching times and some pieces I work on over a spread of days or even weeks. Whatever feels good and right since it's all for fun!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...