Monday, June 10, 2013

Step by step journal spread

It's been a while since I did a step-by-step of a journal spread. You know, those posts where I show you how a spread comes into being one bit at a time. Well, I have a new one lined up for you, so let's go!

It's a spread from my White Book. The White Book measures 25x25 cm. (10x10 inches). Of course I started with white pages, but I'm sure you've all seen white pages before so we'll just skip that. ;-)

First I applied some opaque watercolour with a piece of sponge. Green on top and brown at the bottom.

Then I went through my image stash and picked out these two black and white magazine images.

I put my trademark dashed lines around the images with a black brush pen.

I added some brown washi tape with a flower pattern.

My eye fell on this Eiffel Tower tape and well, I just had to add it and put dashed lines on the side.

I now added some thinner green tape for a bit more colour.

I got out a brown paint marker and added dots on the sides without tape.

I encircled those dots with a black glaze pen so they would stand out more.

Time to go to my sticker stash! I added these brown butterflies.

I took out a circle template and drew two rows of circles in brown paint marker on/over the sides of the photos.

I coloured the circles in with green coloured pencil.

Then I went through my stash of magazine texts and added two of them to the spread.

If there's room I always like to add a label for the date, so I put one on the top right and embellished it with markers.

To wrap things up I added some smaller stickers. These are scrapbook stickers and the green squares came with a calendar.

With that I considered the pages finished and ready for writing. Here are some close ups:





I hope you enjoyed this view into my process. Just so you know, I never know what I will end up with. I don't plan my pages. It really goes like this, step by step. I'll just start with a background and then take it one thing at a time. That always works for me. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy week!

28 comments:

  1. I love your step-by-steps! It is so helpful to see how it all comes together. And your signature dashes and dots make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. The pages Always look empty to me without them.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your step by step! I love seeing how people do things. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the things you say and the pages you make. I have been following your work since you were featured on Jennibellie. You seem so open and honest and frank. It has been a pleasure to "meet" you and listen to what you have to say. Judging by your photos, too, you live in a beautiful place.
    Well, I just wanted to tell you that someone in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina thinks you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're making me blush! Thank you so much for your sweet words!

      Delete
  4. The dashes and dots just make this all come together and you want to start reading everything on the spread. When you take your attention from the dashes and dots it makes everything else important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my art journaling hero! I really look forward to reading about what your doing in your journals and new-found artsy time. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I am very much a process person, and always enjoy insight into another person's methods. Of course the end product is wonderful, but for me the joy is in the doing, not the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking at other people's processes too. I love handling the materials and playing with colours and shapes. It's interesting to me how things come together.

      Delete
  7. Fun! I love these process posts, Caatje. They inspire me to get into my art journal like nothing else. You did such a great job sticking with your color scheme. Your spread looks great, and very inviting to add some journaling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't Always manage such a calm scheme, usually I go for contrasts and brighter colours, but I do like the way this one turned out. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. I love to see the steps of a journal page. Thank you for doing this. Question: Do you choose your magazine photos based on what you are going to write about or is it unplanned like everything else???? Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the writing has nothing to do with the images and often even the images and decorations have nothing to do with each other. I can make up stories about them later, but it's really all done by 'instinct'. I just go through my stuff and then I just 'know' what the next little piece is even if it makes no sense. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for an informative and interesting post Caatje
    Cheers
    De

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a beginner in art journaling, I find a post like this sooooo encouraging and informational. Thank you so much! ~ Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it helped Lynn! Enjoy becoming a more experienced art journaler!

      Delete
  11. "AWESOME!"

    ** love seeing the process... thank you! ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was great seeing your process. Great spread too. I haven't done this in so long I was thinking I'd forgotten how. If I can stop being lazy (surfing the web) perhaps I will do one of these today. Thanks for the inspiration (and the size of your journal).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Timaree. Hope you get to some journaling too!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing your step-by-step progress on this journal spread. I always love seeing how other people work in their art journals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, it's almost as good as doing it yourself isn't it? Almost... ;-)

      Delete
  14. Enjoyed this - in love with your butterfly stickers

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...