Friday, June 7, 2013

From the White Book (and a bit about the joy of journaling)

I'm in love all over again with my own journaling. It's odd how sometimes you have to let something go for a while just to get back to it again with a fresh and fond eye. I have been working in the White Book on a rather regular basis again recently and I'm enjoying it very much. I hope you enjoy looking at these pages!







As you can see the last spread is not finished yet. It still needs to be written on. That's how I work. I do my preparing/decorating of the pages at a different sitting and sort of in a different setting too than I do the writing. To me they are like separate things that still come together splendidly in the journal.

I usually sit at my journaling table for a few hours at a time to prepare two to four spreads for writing. This can happen at night or some time during the day, especially now I have more time during the day! My journaling table is usually a big mess after I'm done and stuff will be lying on the floor too. It's play time central then.

The writing however is done in the early morning about 95% of the time, when the day is still quiet and I need nothing more than a pen to do it. It's my variation on morning pages, stream of consciousness writing or whatever else you want to call it. Most of my writing is not all that interesting, but it helps clear my head for the day and it keeps a record of my life. A nice way to fill an ongoing series of books and a nice way to keep me from going moderately insane. ;-)

My way of working is just that: my way. There is no right or wrong way to journal, so don't let anybody tell you there is. You don't need specific materials and you don't need specific skills. What you need is a love for journaling, just because. No deeper reason needed, but if you happen to have one, go with that! To have a certain joy in the process is what will keep you coming back. And you will learn more and more as you go.

Do what you love the way you love doing it and the joy will follow! Yes it will!

Wishing you all a wonderful and artsy weekend!



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to do your morning pages! to have such a gorgeous place from which to begin is awesome. Thank you for sharing your pages and a little about your process. I love all the fun characters on the one you haven't yet finishes.
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spread made me smile when I made it. It's full of all these romantic quotes and yet the bigger images are postcards of comic covers full of heartbreak and misery. I like a little irony now and then.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of your pages, and your process resonates with me. I keep making journals and not doing anything with them, but I think I'll give your method a try. I am also an early morning person, and starting the day with writing appeals to me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, glad I gave you some ideas. Good luck in trying it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing a bit about your journaling style...your pages look great! It's fun to see the different ways everyone does journaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love seeing all those different ways to journal too!

      Delete
  4. Great advice on journaling--and I love seeing your new pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something about seeing all your writing that makes me very happy and must be so satisfying for you. Your journals are truly journals, and are truly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teri, I'm just addicted to writing I guess. :-)

      Delete
  6. I rarely comment on blogs, but I have to let you know how much I enjoy seeing your pages, reading your blog entries and having a glimpse into life in another country from someone for whom it is "home"! Thank you for all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karyl! So happy you like it on my little spot on the interwebs.

      Delete
  7. I like your pages a lot. I don't usually have so much room to write which is usually okay but not always. How large is this sketchbook and why is it called the "White Book"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Timaree. The book measures 25x25 cm. That's about 10x10 inches. I wish I could give you a beautiful deep reason for the title, but it's simply called the White Book, because I painted it white and wanted to experiment in it with white backgrounds. I have done so every now and then, but I can't stay away from colour it seems. Anyway, the outside is still white, so the title still works, haha. You can see the outside here: http://caatjesartsystuff.blogspot.nl/2013/01/the-white-book.html

      Delete
    2. Yes, I see from the link how it's the "White Book", lol. Thanks. I can't stay away from color either!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...