Friday, March 1, 2013

The Fodder Book

As I have stated in my post about my plans for this year (and can you believe it's March already?), I want to do some work with the book Journal Fodder 365 by Eric Scott and David Modler. I like their style of working because it's so different from most cutesy and vintage girly journal styles  (which I love by the way) out there or the Teesha Moore lookalikes that sprout like crazy all over the place (ever wonder where those pointy hats and striped legs came from?). It also seems like a good book to get back to basics and help me develop a new style that may be more me.




Anyway, through some of their exercises and ideas I am broadening my horizon. I am working with this book in a big Moleskine watercolour book. I'm not too crazy about the landscape format, but hey, I'll just take that as another challenge. ;-)





It really is going back to basics with this book. Just making marks for instance with different materials and seeing what happens. Or working with repetitive shapes and forms. Nothing too complicated so far, but I like playing with the possibilities.




I don't really consider this a journal, because it's not really an account of my day to day life, but a practice of techniques and ideas. I know there's plenty of you who would consider that a journal, but that's for all of us to decide for ourselves. For me a journal is closer to a diary than to an art book or sketchbook. That's just me.





So in this post I'm showing you the first four spreads of this watercolour book that I have dubbed The Fodder Book (I swear somebody should hire me just for naming books!). I kind of like what I'm doing in it, but just like in the White Book I'm sort of still feeling my way through it. Maybe that's the way it should be!

I hope you are all trying to get out of your comfort zone from time to time and see where it leads. Maybe you can take a bold step this weekend! If so, I wish you a wonderful and artsy one!

22 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. ik weet niet of ik dit weekend zo 'in' ben voor bold steps... maar je weet nooit wat er gebeurd natuurlijk ;) Er gebeuren weer prachtige dingen op je pagina's Caatje... ik wens je heel veel 'speel plezier'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Marit, en lekker kalme kabbelende weekenden zijn natuurlijk ook heerlijk. Fijn weekend!

      Delete
  2. I do love getting out of my comfort zone and even when I'm not thrilled with the results...can usually work whatever I've learned...into future art. Your pages are still you...no doubt...but different in a really lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. I do like them (better than the ones in the White Book).

      Delete
  3. I love the 365 Day Fodder book...it is completely different and that is what I love about it and it does help you develop your own style...which by the way I love what you did here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy this book too, Danielle and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Zonder afbreuk te willen doen aan je oudere werk: Ik vind deze nieuwe Caatje pagina's héél héél erg mooi. Zelf moet je geloof ik nog steeds winnen, maar ik vind het prachtig ga zo door.En ik ben de laatste constant bezig met het stappen buiten mijn comfort zone en.....heb het onwijs naar mijn zin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Carla. Ik ben best tevreden over deze spreads hoor, maar moet inderdaad mijn draai nog wat beter vinden. Heb er ook wel plezier in!

      Delete
  5. thanks for pointing me in this direction Caatje! Love the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your post...and your pages. I have been out of my comfort zone with trying to paint and draw faces... I do have the 365 Day Fodder Book but haven't played with it yet. I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun. In a way very basic, but maybe that's good from time to time.

      Delete
  7. Echt grappig: het is zo anders dan wat je normaal doet en toch zag ik in een oogopslag dat jij het gemaakt had;-) Jammer toch dat ze bij Moleskine nog niet doorhebben dat wj hun watercolourversie graag in liggend en in staand formaat willen... Misschien nog eens een brief eraan wagen, speciaal voor de journalgirls?

    Mooie pagina's en prachtige kleuren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, dat snap ik ook niet. Zouden ze denken dat aquarelmensen allen maar landschapjes schilderen? En hun schetsboeken hebben weer van dat rare waterafstotende papier. Het is ook nooit goed! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Your fodder book is gorgeous Caatje... and looks lovely to play in... love your vibrant patterns... and especially love the colors in the heart... and yes... March already... can hardly believe that myself...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, I love those hearts too. And yes, time is going way too fast, just like last year. Sigh...;-)

      Delete
  9. It's nice to get out and try new things. I love your pages here. I am not familiar with the book you're working from so I'll just have to go find it now. It'll be neat to see what transpires and get your thoughts as you go along. I, too, am working through one of my "workshop"-type books on color. The exercises looked intriguing and I thought it might help me with my painting. I need to challenge my mind and my thinking in the way that a great art professor I had challenged us in college. There's something stimulating about exploring a new road. Can't wait to see what comes up for you next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good indeed sometimes to try a different approach and by working from a book you can take or leave as much as you like from the 'instructor'. I like how it gives just a little nudge in a different direction and then I can fill in the rest myself. Good luck on your explorations!

      Delete
  10. I really like these spreads, Caatje, and what you are doing from the Journal Fodder book. I have a landscape moleskine too that I haven't worked in yet. I can see how the different format will present a new and interesting challenge. Seems especially good for pattern work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to seeing what you do with it Andria. I have done landscape format journals before, but they are challenging, especially if you like to do two page spreads.

      Delete
  11. I am also doing this book for the same reasons -- and find it really pushes me to think outside of my comfort zone too. Again searching for a style that isn't like everyone else's (although I love the other styles, I am not those people)... I love the colors of your pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda, good luck on finding your journaling voice!

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...