Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Girls girls girls

I love drawing girls. Always have, always will. I think it all started with the girly comic magazines I read when I was a child. I wanted to be able to draw those pretty faces and so I did. Well, I tried anyway. I drew them in sketchbooks, I traced them with tracing paper or carbon paper, I drew them in my school note books. Girls everywhere all the time. It's the one thing I can draw now without thinking: girls faces. A proof that practice really is key, haha.

Imagine my surprise when I entered the online mixed media world to see that everybody seemed to be drawing girls. It made me a little apprehensive sometimes. I mean, we all want to be original (or is that just me?) and to draw girls or put girls on a mixed media background, well, that seemed to be anything but.

But we must follow our hearts and our passions and I can't help myself. I must draw girls and I must draw them often. So I might as well give in. So here's a post about some girls that just came out of my head.

The first three are spreads from my small carry on sketchbook. They were done in a brush marker and were drawn very quickly. The small book measures 15x15 cm (6x6 inches). You can see how that's a problem to take pictures of by my fingers appearing in every picture to keep the damn thing open. ;-)




I always think it's odd that I like to draw pretty girls when I have so little in common with them, nor care anything about those things in real life. I think it's all part of a fantasy or something. Just the world on the page. I don't know...

The next two spreads are from the Studio Book which is considerably bigger and measures 25x25 cm (10x10 inches). These girls were done in brush marker and felt tip pens. They are actually an unfinished project that was going nowhere, so I decided to just paste them in the sketchbook for safe keeping. The making of them did inspire me to do the colouring book zine that's still in the making, because somebody asked me if they were colouring book images that I had just coloured in. So even unfinished projects can lead to other projects!



I guess I will keep drawing girls for the rest of my life and why not? They are fun and they come easy to me. I suppose we all have something we are drawn to no matter what. If I don't know what to draw I draw a girl. If a background seems to be going nowhere I put a girl in front of it. If I want to feel safe in my art, I draw a girl. I suppose it's comforting in a way to have something like that.

So...do you have anything you draw all the time no matter what? I'd love to know. Tell me all about it in the comment section!

Wishing you a wonderful and artsy Wednesday!

24 comments:

  1. The faces are great.
    Barb
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your faces! You have inspired me to just keep drawing faces. I have been struggling with this. You will know what I mean if you have a look at my blog http://vonniemayblog.blogspot.com.au - thank you for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne. Practice may not always make perfect, but it does help improve things. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your faces are wonderful. I'm not so great at faces. My thing is - if I can't think of what to draw, draw an owl (or any bird) or a flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I love owls! I draw a lot of flowers too now that I think of it.

      Delete
  4. Love your colorful girls collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja, glad you like them.

      Delete
  5. I have always liked doing girls faces as well, when I was young I used to do Japanese Manga style eyes. I should give that a go in my sketchbook, see if I still remember.

    I love your quick sketches in your sketchbook. Love the different expressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love manga style girls, hope you get back to them.

      Delete
  6. I like flowers and feathers when I'm drawing, but my go-to when I'm quilting are swirls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often doodle flowers and quilting swirls sounds beautiful.

      Delete
  7. net als van het liedje wordt ik hier dus blij van :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like drawing girls, then why not?!
    Lovely drawings. I seem to be drawn to drawing food when I'm stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds yummy! I never draw food myself, I'd much rather eat it. :-)

      Delete
  9. I am excited to have found your wonderful blog. We have a lot in common. I love, love, love doodling in my art journal . . . it's what I do while my sweet husband is watching his alligator hunting and ice road shows. That way I can be with him and also get lost in my art :) I really hope that you will accept my invitation to follow me back.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Connie, so happy to have you here! I'll check out your blog soon.

      Delete
  10. Lovely sketches and nice colors on the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bold faces in vivid colors are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your faces. That's what I do too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...