Friday, February 15, 2013

A beautiful lady and some sketches

My practice of drawing beautiful ladies in beautiful dresses continues, with the wedding magazine as my constant provider of models. Here's my latest effort:


I decided to show you the model this time as well. I wanted to do a drawing in graphite pencil and just leave it at that, but you know me, I crave colour, and I just couldn't let her be. So after I drew this lady in a 4B graphite pencil I took out some pan pastels and coloured in the background. I do like the effect. I'm quite pleased with the lady herself, but what you cannot tell is that I have a hard time (always) fitting a model on a page and this time was no different. So her feet are not on there! Sigh....I so struggle with proportions. I will keep trying though!

After this lady was done I had a little time left over so I decided to do a few quicky sketches with a thick brown graphite lead (meant for a mechanical pencil, but I didn't have that on hand, so I just held the lead in my hand and it worked fine. Again I'm adding the models from the magazine so you can see my reference.




I really like the last one. I also liked the feeling of working fast with a very tactile material straight from my hand. It felt very 'direct', hands on. The sketches are pretty big, which was also a nice change from how I usually work. Good practice!

Hope you enjoyed this peek into my continuing effort to get these pretty ladies on paper and as always I wish you a wonderful and artsy weekend! 



22 comments:

  1. Your girls are beautiful Caatje... I love the gorgeous expression on the last one too... and awesome pan pastel background...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny. It was the first time I used pan pastels so I figured a background would be a good way to get a bit of a feel for them.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy reading your blogs and seeing what you are working on. I've been so inspired by your journals, that I went out last weekend and bought an inexpensive graph paper notebook to try out some new techniques on. I'm gluing two pages together to make it sturdier. Thank you for being so generous by sharing your ideas and tutorials. I'm hoping to get started this weekend in my journal.

    Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Jackie! Enjoy your journal! And thank you for your kind words on my blog.

      Delete
  3. Caatje, you have a talent for capture the soft draping of the dresses and the proportions of the face. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually struggle with those folds and drapings and shadings. I'm just winging it, really, so thank you for thinking I know what I'm doing, haha.

      Delete
  4. These are lovely sketches... great posies to work from! :]
    Excellent job on the dress too, it flows softly.
    Thank you Caatje, for sharing your experience, thoughts, and techniques. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I also struggle with fitting the page :) I just did one cut off at the knees, feel your struggles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Good to know I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  7. Using a fashion magazine for models is a good idea. I'll have to do more. Thanks for the crayon/gesso suggestion on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sandra. Another regular model source for me are mail order catalogues. They are even cheaper and stand just as still as their magazine sisters. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful drawings Caatje!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, glad you like them.

      Delete
  9. Tof die eerste zo met die achtergrond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, ik kon het niet laten. Ik was nog zo van plan er een keurige zwart wit tekening van te maken, maar er móest gewoon kleur bij!

      Delete
  10. Hi Caatje, Thank you for visiting my blog!! I can see your practice is paying off....Your sketches are really beautiful. I like the idea of drawing them from magazines. Had a browse through your blog today and love the background textures you made... And I am in LOVE with your sister's Border Terrier! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare! And yes, my sisters dog is adorable! ;-)

      Delete

I appreciate each and every comment. They make me really happy. I don't like spammers though and that's why the word verification is turned on. I know it's a pain, but I hope you understand.

I try to respond to all comments by directly replying in the comment section, but please understand that sometimes this may take some time. Know that I read them all and that they make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...